Wednesday, March 13, 2019

But God

“We live by faith, not by sight.” ~ 2 Corinthians 5:7
Headstrong and foolish, Don set out duck hunting without telling anyone that he’d be going to a place he’d never tried before.  Nearly as asinine, he left his cell phone at home.
After settling into his blind, he gripped his gun barrel to clear away some reeds.  He’d learn later that the gunsmith who repaired his shotgun accidently cross-threaded the screw holding the stock to the rest of the gun.  The weapon broke in half when those two mistakes collided.
Dazed and confused, Don slowly realized that he'd shot a hole in his side the size of a plum.  He managed a quick prayer: “God, I'm going to need a little help!”  As he lay there dying, a thick fog smothered the setting sun.
All alone.  Excruciating pain.  Nobody knew where he was … but God.
It was nearly midnight when wife Brenda became anxious about his absence and called a friend who told her that he’d declined an invitation from Don to go hunting.  But he had no idea where.
They organized a search team and drove to a remote spot where the two had hunted before but got lost in the dark.  Scanning the unfamiliar territory they spied the slight reflection of Don’s windshield.  They reached him barely alive; on the verge of hypothermia.
Thirsty from his lengthy ordeal, Don asked for drink.  One of the rescuers offered some grape juice but was unable to open the bottle.  If but for God, Don would’ve likely died in surgery had he swallowed that juice.
The thick fog parted not once but twice for the rescue helicopter to land.  There’s literally no explanation for Don making it to hospital in time, was patched up and able to walk again, but God.
A missionary surgeon, who gained prominence repairing gunshot wounds and worked at that hospital only 1 in every 8 weekends, just happened to be working that night.  The doctor removed a full load, 120 BB’s, from Don’s side.  Had any become dislodged, he could’ve bled to death.
Modern day miracle, or just a great bit of luck?
I don’t really know.  But when I read about a bus driver who happened to put a Bible right in the place where a thug would fire his gun, it tips the scale for me.  It’s a “God Thing” – circumstances that’re nearly impossible to explain, but for God.  Some are almost imperceptible to all but the recipient.  For others like Don, they’re life-changing.
I don’t know why miracles happen to some people and not others.  I don’t know why some miracles result in life while others are found in death.  But I do know it glorifies God when I can’t do something, but He can.
Father God, I’m lonely without You, adrift on a sea of indecision.  I need to speak with You today as an intimate friend - to share my heart, my desires, my fears, and my pain.  I promise to seek You with all that I am, Amen