Friday, September 20, 2019

Our Father

“God sent his Son into our hearts; we can rightly speak of God as our Father." ~ Galatians 4:6
There’s a path through a wooded area near our cottage where I often take long walks.  It’s partly for exercise but mostly to clear my brain of earthly clutter and unresolved thoughts.
Amongst the carpet of autumn leaves lies tranquility; one perfect for solitude and prayer.  The Lord’s Prayer came to mind today – not the words, but their deepest meaning.
“Our Father” – two simple words, so rich in context that it’s hard to overrate their importance.  Too often I’ve glossed right over them, barely thinking.
OUR Father - the Father not only of Christ but of all of us; not mine alone - but ours.  This makes me less selfish and more conscious of those around me and extends to everything I see, hear and feel: the birds, the trees, the loam under my feet.  We’re all connected to “Our Father.”   When we pray, we worship with all creation: people of all colors, ages, tribes, tongues, customs and personalities.  I can’t say OUR if I keep my faith only to myself and never share it with others.
To call God “FATHER” means, that he is near us, intimately concerned with us, fond of us, even crazy about us.  He’s not a distant god created to instruct by virtue of natural law.
No, the God whom Jesus calls Father, cares about us and knows each of us personally.  He loves us more than we love ourselves and knows us better than we know ourselves.  He longs for us know Him not merely as an Almighty Power, but a living, loving person; not merely an alluring destiny, but a father who delights in the love of His children, who wishes to shape us into His own likeness, and make us fellow-warriors.
When we pray, “Our Father,” we’re appealing for an intimate relationship.  My own daughter refers to me as her father, of course.  But there are precious times when even as a grown woman, she still calls me Daddy (and not always when she wants a favor).  It never fails to warm my heart and, yes, make me even more willing than ever to make her dreams come true.
I can’t say FATHER if I don’t trust Him, forgetting that He always answers prayers how and when He knows is best.  A good father doesn’t protect his children forever from the harsh realities of life, but helps them as they progress through various stages of development to face the challenges and grow through the difficulties.  But He’ll never leave us to fight our battles alone.
With each stride my mind becomes clearer; more resolute, more in step with Our Father.
May He bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you and bring you peace today.
Our Father in heaven: May Your holy name be honored; may Your Kingdom be revealed; may Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Amen (Good News Translation)