Thursday, March 16, 2017

Being There

“Be quiet and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10
It’d be an overstatement to say that I played on the middle school baseball team.  I was on the team.  I practiced with the team.  I wore the same uniform.
I took batting practice and chased fly balls in the outfield before every game.  Then I sat on the bench and cheered for the guys who actually made a difference in the game’s score.
It was a decent arrangement.  I enjoyed the camaraderie, the workouts kept me in shape, and I had a front-row seat for the games.  But I didn't feel any of the pressure that comes with knowing that the outcome of the game may rest on my bony shoulders.
‘Riding the pine’ must’ve been hard for my Dad.  He’d been a gifted athlete, lettering in both baseball and track in college.  He was fast and could hit like ‘the Babe.’
Still he never missed a game.  After the final out, he’d smile, shake my hand and tell me, "Good game!" even though I never actually did anything to make the game good.
Until the last game of the season.
We jumped off to a 14-3 lead against our arch-rivals.  Heading into the 7th inning, Coach finally felt comfortable enough to look toward my end of the bench.  "Walker!" he barked. "You're in!"
I grabbed my bat and rosined its handle.  As I stepped into the batter’s box with two outs and runners on second and third, the guys on bench screamed "Grip it and Rip it!"
I was late on the first pitch, hitting a line drive into right field.  Both teammates scored.  As I stood proudly on first base, the crowd roared as if I’d just won the game (even though it just meant that we won by 13 not 11).
I spotted Dad in the stands.  His smile, his presence, being there meant the world to me.  For the next 35 years, through good times and bad, Dad was always there to smile, to encourage, and to love me.
I think about Dad whenever I'm tempted to NOT be there for my own children.  I'm not as good at it as Dad was.  But I keep trying because I know how much it can mean for a Dad to be there when you get that big hit.
Truly ‘being there’ entails far more than physical presence.  It requires a focused engagement of every aspect of our being – physical, mental, and emotional.  It means hitting the pause button and neglecting other distractions that demand our attention.
We deceive ourselves into thinking that our e-communications allow us to be omnipresent because we can multitask.  But no one can multitask and be fully present at the same time!   It’s conceited to think otherwise and borders on idolatry.
Thank you Jesus, for Dads who love us, for grandfathers who care, and for God, my eternal father, who made me and is always there for me.  How Blessed am I.  Amen