Friday, December 3, 2021

The October of My Years

 “Even to your old age and gray hairs, I will sustain you." ~ Isaiah 46:4

I can’t remember the first time I saw the sun.  Memories only go back to when I was about three years old, and by then I was only about three feet tall.  Our home was small, our neighborhood was quiet, my parents were busy.

I’m much older now.  It shows in my face.  I feel it in my bones.  No part of my body performs the way it did when I was twentysomething.  My reflexes are slower, I have more aches and pains and I do all my own stunts – but never intentionally.  (laugh please) 

Yet, choosing the right roads into senior-ity matters far more than birthdays or the bumps we encounter. The Bible (Job 12:12), reveals that old age “brings more wisdom and understanding;” wisdom that allows me to see the obvious, or to use common sense without second-guessing myself or the outcomes.

I’m actually gaining time.  More time?  Seems like it should be just the opposite.  But, now at this stage of my life, I’m not as hurried as I used to be.  I’m not dashing out the door to make it to school or work or the gym.  

Instead, I have time every morning to read and meditate on the Word.  I can kneel and pray for as long as my rickety old knees can stand it.  I have time to really listen to God.

And I now have time to really listen to people.  I am at a point where I have more empathy for others; providing a leveling perspective to the chaos often churning around them.

As a younger man, most of my ministry was in raising a family.  Now my ministry extends into other areas as God opens new doors and opportunities.  Even though my hearing is not as good, I’m more in tune to His voice.  My mind isn’t as sharp, but I’m more grateful for His blessings.  My reactions are slower, but I’m quicker to rely on Him.  My eyesight might not be perfect, but I view God’s enormity more clearly than ever before.

I guess you could say, as I am growing old, I am also growing up. 

Every season of our lives has purpose.  God doesn’t cast us off in our later years just because our vigor is fading.  He uses us, no matter our age, to continue His work. 

I stand closer than ever, at the edge of eternity’s pool.  As I begin to walk out on the creaky diving board of advanced adulthood, I have no fear.  God stands with me, holding my wrinkled hand with a strength that only the love and focus of His grace, and my experience, bring.

Almighty Father, we know that old age comes from You, leads to You, and will touch me at Your will.  Grant me to serve You, proclaim You, and to glorify You through all the time that remains to my earthly life.  Amen