Monday, July 1, 2024

No Limits

 “Those who believe in Him should not perish but have eternal life." ~ John 3:16

As a younger person, I don’t ever remember consciously thinking about dying. Maybe it was too daunting, or uncomfortable, or I was just too busy. But I’m older now. Perhaps not dramatically wiser, but certainly more contemplative.

Sometimes before the sun rises when I can’t sleep, I get up, fire up the Keurig, and sit alone in the dim light of the family room. Instead of thinking about the days’ activities ahead, my mind replays random scenes from earlier times.

It’s like I popped in a DVD and begin to see my autobiography’s different seasons. I always tried my best to provide for my family - financially, emotionally and spiritually. It’s been an idyllic life, one that often makes me feel unworthy.

One thing’s for certain, though. I’m one day closer to Home. At least I pray that I am and that’s He’s helping me prepare for the eventuality. Not to be overly dramatic or morbid, but my clock is ticking. I am truly blessed and consider it a privilege to be living in overtime.

Contemplating death in a conscious way doesn’t freak me out. Knowing that our human adventure is limited and that at some future moment our physical body will die, is sobering and liberating. It forces reality, humility and vulnerability.

You’re free to stop chasing after all the stuff that doesn’t matter, free to stop living for others’ approval, are free to release grudges and petty differences.

When your goals shift toward a more eternal perspective and are clear about God’s priorities for your life, life becomes more about today, less about tomorrow. More about people, less about belongings. More about God’s priorities, less about desires and plans. More about the eternal, less about the temporal.

Time’s running out for us all. We don’t get a second shot today. We’re still here for a God’s purpose.

So, let’s all imagine today as if it was our final day on Earth. Living as if every moment were our last entails cherishing the present, expressing gratitude for its preciousness, and avoiding excessive preoccupation with the past or future.

How will you make relationships a greater priority? Who do you need to get with for an unhurried lunch? Is there someone that needs to be forgiven?

Don’t miss the chance to sit down with your wife, or child and let them know how you feel about them. Don’t miss the chance to sit down with your aging parents and spend time enjoying and learning from them. Be available for some longer and deeper conversations with people you appreciate and admire.

In short, don’t let your good intentions turn to painful regrets.

Heavenly Father, help me become a living example that points to You. My dreams are too small, my desires are too selfish, my actions are too sinful for me to focus on what’s best in Your eyes. I know I can’t do life without You. Amen