Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Holding Daddy's Hand

“I am the Lord your God.  Don’t be afraid, I’m holding your hand." ~ Isaiah 41:13
FATHER: My daughter is like a snapchat in time.  I recall her ponytail blowing in the spring breeze, her girlish face absorbing the sun’s warmth.  There’s nothing I wouldn't do to keep her from harm, but I can’t protect her forever.  I can only be there when she falls and stand well back while she reaches for the stars.
I remember entering Disney’s ‘It’s a Small World’ for the first time.  “Daddy?  I’m scared,” she said in a voice that oozed anxiety.  Happily, I reached down and clutched the delicate hand baring such sweet innocence.  A precious moment, indeed.
Honestly, it scares me that these days duck just below the horizon.  She isn’t always going to grab my hand for warmth and reassurance.  Before long she’s going to pretend she doesn’t need me anymore, her independence sprouting like kudzu across the Georgian countryside.
DAUGHTER:  I can’t remember the first time I held my Daddy’s hand, but I’ll never forget the security I sensed when his enormous, calloused hand was wrapped around my faint little fingers.  I adored the feeling of protection, knowing with complete certainty that no monster, sickness, or other danger could harm me while he held my hand.
Through all the stages in my life, Daddy’s huge work-worn hands would comfort me one way or another: reassuring me as I waited for the bus on my inaugural day of school; restoring my self-confidence after breaking my arm; calming my wedding day jitters.  No matter how each giant step in life turned out, the strength of Daddy’s unwavering grip would always be there.
It scares me a lot that the time is near when the hands that once promised safety and security, wither to little more than skin and bone.  Soon his weary fingers would have to reach down from heaven – an ever present positive force in my life.
GOD:  My hand is always within reach.  Times when you’re scared and need someone to hold on to; days when you’re weak and need an extra boost; moments when you don’t know what to do and crave guidance and direction.
You may no longer have your parents to hold your hand when you’re scared.  You may now be the person asked to hold someone’s hand for comfort.  You may need to be strong for others.  But no matter how strong you think you are, there are times when the scared child still lives within you.
In those times, turn to Me.  For I am the LORD, your God, and I will always be there to help.  I too, want to hold your hand and bring you peace.  All you need to do is ask, then take My hand.
“Hold my hand Lord, lead me the way, help me be good every day.  Show me what’s wrong and right, keep me safe through the night.  Let me know what You’ve planned, lead the way God, hold my hand.”  Amen