Sunday, November 26, 2023

The Best Thanksgiving

 “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances." ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

November was even colder than usual. Snow was falling. Thanksgiving Day arrived with elegant grace. They took this day one breath at a time to savor it. A time together for simple joys, laughter, and well-worn jokes.

This year the feast was prepared by a local restaurant. Mom’s illness was taking its toll and she just couldn’t summon the energy. One custom remained unchanged, however. They all gathered around the table to state their many blessings.

Dad spoke first. “Mom’s chemo isn’t working; the cancer is spreading. “We have two options: start a more aggressive chemical routine that would make Mom pretty ill and her immune system would be dangerously compromised. Option 2 is to do nothing… and keep Mom comfortable.”

“We’ve sought expert advice, we’ve considered your opinions, and we’ve prayed over this as well. We are choosing the latter. Today, we are especially grateful for this time together, and for the time we have remaining. God has blessed us richly. We have no regrets.”

There was a long silence. Hearts raced. Breaths quickened.

The oldest child spoke first. “Courage is often measured in how hard and long we fight. We’re taught to never give up. But the greatest courage is to have the strength to accept God’s will. Jesus did so when he died at Calvary. Mom - your faith, your courage, and your passion make this the best Thanksgiving ever.”

The middle child spoke next. “You’ve given us so much love, Mom. We adore you. We’ve tried to bring to life the lessons that you taught us. You set the example by which we learned to give, to love, and to receive. Your legacy will remain long after your body lets go. For these things, this is the greatest Thanksgiving ever.”

Words came softly now from the youngest child, the last to leave home and perhaps the most reliant on his mother. “Mom,” he began choking back tears, “we’ll never let go of you. In times of grief, I’ll wrap myself in one of your afghans and dream that you’re holding me in your arms, and caring for me the way you always have. I love you Mom, and always will. Thank you for making this the most grateful Thanksgiving ever.

Finally, it was time for Marie to speak. She spoke like never before - with conviction, with compassion, and without fear.

“Thank you all. I’m not afraid to die. I look forward to reuniting with my parents, my siblings, and of course my Lord. This could be my last Thanksgiving on earth, but it will not be our last Thanksgiving together.”

“These past few weeks have been some of the most wonderful of my life. I’ve watched you mature.”

“I’ve marveled at your caring ways. Your faith thrills me. This disease did not bring bitterness – but a warmth of spirit that gives me peace knowing that you will adjust. Nothing can separate us!”

“Now, I’d like to offer a toast to my beautiful family around this table:

Bless us, Lord. Keep our feet firmly planted in the past; our minds keenly absorbed with the present; and our minds directed unafraid toward the future. The time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here; the way to be happy is to make others so.” ~ Marie