Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Missing Grandma

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." ~ Matthew 5:4
Holidays are tough when there’s an empty chair … and even emptier hearts.  This will be my first Thanksgiving without my Grandma; she died just weeks before my high school graduation.
It's never about the turkey for me, or the stuffing, or even the fresh-baked pies.  Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff; Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without it.  But a day that's all about thanking God for what we have (each other, our health and the food we eat), that’s magic!
Grandma's entire family grew up on a small farm in Iowa.  None of her 13 siblings (including her) were able to attend college, yet she lived a blessed life because “as long as you never stop learning, you’ll never stop growing."
When I walked in the house after our 10-hour trip from Michigan, she would enthusiastically greet me at the door with a hug that smelled of cinnamon and confirmed years of humility and sacrifice.  Memories flooded in faster than I could process.
I’ll not forget the gentle way she used to carry me when I wasn’t yet able to walk; the whiff of warm sugar cookies perfectly timed for my arrival; endless games of Old Maid played with time-worn cards; the sweet taste of her homemade strawberry preserves on buttered toast.
She always sat closest to the kitchen for Thanksgiving dinner, but only after every dish was carefully placed on the table.  This year, Mom rearranged where everyone sat hoping to make her absence less noticeable.  The prayer wasn’t even sad, but we all cried anyway.
If only I had one more day with Grandma, I’d start by thanking her for being born.  She started this crazy family and her legacy lives on.
I’d thank her for her ‘mastery’ in the kitchen.  We spent some memorable times together there.  Her cooking was the best.
I’d thank her for the examples she set.  The love she and Grandpa shared provided the perfect model of how a marriage should work.  The love she had for her three boys set a prime example of how to be a great Mom.  And finally, the love that she had for her grandkids showed us all why loving someone is so important.
If you're fortunate enough to have your grandmother in your life, you’re one of the lucky ones.  I've never in my life met a woman as special as mine.  I'm not sure if it's the way she gracefully handled any situation, or if it was her ability to love every family member regardless of their failings.  But there's something about that woman that makes me strive to be just like her.
Father, fill the empty space in our hearts and at our table.  Teach us to savor the moments we have with one another, to rightly remember what we’ve lost, but also to look forward in hope to what You’ve promised for the future.  Amen