Monday, June 10, 2019

Sunshine on My Shoulders

“Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I’ll give you rest." ~ Matthew 11:28
Sometimes watching others takes your mind off yourself.  While waiting in my car for my wife to pick up a few items, I noticed a young couple with a toddler leaving the grocery store.  They all carried bags – even the toddler.  He struggled to hold onto a rather large package of diapers.
The little guy tried his best to hold the bag up but it was nearly as big as he was.  Inevitably, both the boy and the package fell onto wet pavement.  I’m sure I saw him mouthing “help” to parents walking several steps ahead.
I vividly remember those toddler days when short legs seriously slackened the pace.  I expected one of them to take the bag from the child.  Neither was carrying much and it would certainly have sped things up.
Mom stopped and helped the child to his feet.  She didn’t scold him for lagging behind.  Then she looped the boy’s arms through the handles of the bag so he could wear it like a backpack.
Smiling triumphantly, the boy held his arms wide for a hug, his miniature hands looking sweet, almost comical.  They say you can't bottle love.  I think they're wrong as he hustled to keep up.
Scenes like that bundle of cuteness remind me that people are inherently good and caring; else the tide of doomsday press would sweep me into some fearful and biased thought pattern.
But the wisdom in it resonated in my mind.  Aren’t we a lot like this child?  Whether we asked for it or it was given to us, sometimes we wind up carrying burdens that are too heavy or awkward to handle.  Wouldn’t it be simpler if God just took them from us?
He could send a check in the mail, heal our bodies, or mend broken relationships.  There’s nothing He, who created the universe, can’t do.
But instead, God lets us carry them ourselves, walking closely beside us, adjusting the burden just enough so that it’s bearable.
But there’s something we must do to receive that promise.  We must first turn our heart to God and cast our burden(s) to Him.  He loves us, welcomes us, and promises to help us (Hebrews 4:16).  Ask Him to save your marriage, keep you employed, save your children, improve your health or lighten whatever else burdens you.
God may choose to help … but the Bible also teaches that He may not.  So the next step is crucial.  Trust that if He allows this pain to happen, it’s to bring you more joy in Him.  God promises to orchestrate everything - including every pain, sorrow, and trial.
Lord, You’re my shelter from the storm and shade from the heat.  It’s Your hand that lifts me when I fall.  Thank You for hearing my cry, for seeing my afflictions and noting my distress.  I cast my burdens upon You, rejoicing in Your steadfast love.  Amen