Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Seasons of Waiting

“For everything there is a season and a time for every purpose." ~ Ecclesiastes 3:1
Ours was not your typical storybook romance.  Yet when you truly love someone, distance and time barely matter.
We lived down the street from each other half of our lives.  One of my earliest memories is playing ‘Dance, Dance Revolution’ with Julian and kissing him on the cheek.  He got mad and said "If you do that again, I'm going home!"
He was a bit shy but I continued to have a crush on him as we grew up.  Did I mention that he became ridiculously good looking in his teens?
One night at a high school football game, he mentioned that he’d enlisted in the U.S. Army.  For whatever reason, we began messaging each other for hours on end; conversations that eventually revealed our mutual attraction for one another.  Before the season ended, Julian asked me to be his date for the Homecoming Dance.
Following graduation, he left for basic training.  While learning how to communicate with him by snail mail, he was becoming a dedicated, hardworking Infantryman.  We fell in love ... one letter at a time.
His first deployment lasted 11 months.  Little did I know that when I went to welcome him home, Julian asked me to marry him right in the airport.  I learned later that he designed the ring while in Afghanistan.  He even showed me the date on the receipt to prove it.
We were married before he returned overseas.  Not exactly an ideal way to start off a marriage.  He'll be back in the U.S. for good in 10 months.
Yes, the restricted communication when he's away is tough.  Yes, the "see you soon’s" are excruciating.  But when we reunite and I get to jump back into his loving arms, I'm convinced it's worth it.  Because every heartbreaking goodbye is NOTHING compared to each heartwarming hello.  Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
Waiting is a part of life.  Even if you marry young, like we did, you still end up waiting.  There’s always something on the horizon, just out of your reach.  Graduation, a job, an experience, a dream you’re working toward — the list is endless.
The trick is to learn how to wait well.
More important than finding your spouse is becoming the kind of person who’s ready to get married.   All we can do is work hard to become the kind of person Jesus calls us to be.
Waiting is active, not passive. Trust God, do good, dig in, get comfortable with who you are, enjoy every sunrise, commit, be still — 7 staccato commands (Psalm 37) all leading to “wait patiently” for the Lord to reveal His plan for you.  God uses seasons of waiting to make us more like himself.
Father, did You hear my prayer?  Please forgive my impatience.  Still my mind as I await Your presence and divine intervention.  Your timing is always perfect and, even as I pray for what I think I deserve, You always bless me with what’s best.  Amen