Friday, April 17, 2020

Ruby Ridge Redemption

“If you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive you.” ~ Matthew 6:15
If ever a person deserved to be angry, Sara Weaver had the right.
She was just 16 when her father, Randy, was struck in the shoulder by a sniper’s bullet outside their home on Ruby Ridge, a mountaintop in northern Idaho.  Her 14-year-old brother Sammy and a deputy were both killed after officers tried to serve a warrant for weapons charges in 1992.
Sara raced back to the cabin just as her mother, Vicki, was shot in the head while holding her 10-month-old sister.  Mom died in a pool of blood.
For more than a week, the surviving Weavers holed up in the cabin while hundreds of federal agents laid siege in a standoff that helped spark anti-government protests that included the Oklahoma City bombing which took 168 innocent lives.
Randy Weaver was eventually acquitted of the most serious charges.  In 1995, surviving family members won a wrongful death lawsuit against the government.
In the years after Ruby Ridge, Sara Weaver, struggled with depression and PTSD, as well as what she called a "toxic bondage" of bitterness and anger.
She admitted to being ‘broken’ until a close friend revealed her positive relationship with Jesus Christ.  Something clicked for Sara.  He began earnestly reading the Bible, where she learned that "Jesus commands us to forgive (Matt 6:15)."  She described an evolving spiritual journey in her book, "From Ruby Ridge to Freedom” released in 2012.
“I’d been a victim for almost two decades,” she confessed, “but if you don’t surrender it to God, the bitterness sucks the life from you.
Forgiving the men who killed her mother and brother wouldn’t be easy.  “But I had to do so … as many times as it took.  I’ll never condone what they did to my family, but my faith helped me release the raging hatred the incidents retold.”
Then, during an agonizing divorce, she saw forgiveness from a different perspective.  “I realized that I’d also been a perpetrator: I’d inflicted great pain on my ex-husband.  The guilt and the shame I felt from that, was worse than the pain of being the victim.  I realized I must forgive as I had been forgiven.”
God doesn’t care if you’re a victim or the perpetrator.  He died for both.
Forgiveness makes better use of the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing open wounds.  It’s rediscovering our strengths and releases our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.
It comes more readily when we have faith in God and trust His Word.  Such conviction enables us to withstand the worst of humanity and allows us to look beyond ourselves.  Could there be someone in your life that needs your forgiveness today?
Merciful Lord, thank You for Your gift of forgiveness.  Your only Son loved me enough to come to earth and experience the worst pain imaginable so that I could be forgiven.  Help me demonstrate that kind of love today, even to those    who hurt me.  Amen