Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Father's Hero

 “Put on all the armor that God gives, so when the battle is over, you’ll still be standing strong.” -- Ephesians 6:13
Gary loved an early sunrise through the southern pines as a ray of morning light emerged from murky grey to brilliant crimson.  But he loved most the quiet time for reflection.  It was the best time to write to his son Sgt. Nathan Strong, USMC, stationed somewhere in Iraq.  His pen silent now, he reread the heartfelt prose:

Dearest son, my hero:
It’s Memorial Day.  I never really understood what Memorial Day meant until this weekend.  Now I wish I was still naïve enough to celebrate as though it were a “holiday weekend.”   Today I agonize with so many other families, knowing someone they love is in harm’s way to protect our freedom.
I never imagined that missing you could hurt so much.  Everything reminds me of you – pictures, places, and even certain music.  If you were here today, we could play catch, or go fishing, or relax with a few 'cold ones' watching the Indy 500.  When I see your mother’s pain, I would gladly change places with you so that she could hug you instead.
I vividly remember a “little man,” wearing my shoes and gloves (five times the size of your own) trying to be just like me.  As you got older, we grew apart.  I couldn’t seem to remember what it was like being a teenager.   You became your own man.  I felt so proud the day you became a Marine – Semper Fi (always faithful)!
It’s ironic how the farther away you are the closer that we seem to be growing.  I long for the day you return home so that we can start again.
Until then, know that I love you and pray for your safe return every day!  Thank you for courage, your service and your faithfulness.  Your sacrifice for our nation is inspiring and will not be forgotten this day or ever – I promise.   I miss you, my Hero.
Love Dad
Soon Gary would discover, however, that the homecoming he had so desperately yearned for would be nothing like the one that he had dreamed of.  Three Casualty Notification Officers would inform him that their nineteen-year-old son had been killed in Ramadi.  His homecoming would be under the shroud of an American flag-draped coffin.  After telling his wife that their only son had died in the heat and dust of a distant battlefield, he fell to his knees in grief-stricken prayer:
Prince of Peace, on this Memorial Day, we pray that: Our homeland will be free from violence and terror;  All cultures will seek harmony  and justice;  Violence will be defeated by love; Weapons of destruction will be transformed into tools of justice; and hate will give way to charity.  May we bravely face the challenges ahead, grateful for and inspired by those veterans who have given their lives for our country.  We pray to You Lord, Amen.