Sunday, June 12, 2011

Be the Change!

The Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the one who trusts in him." – Psalm 32:10
Jose was depressed!  He can’t motivate himself to do anything; nothing makes him happy.  There are days when he can hardly get out of bed.  He rarely eats, sleeps or speaks.
He’s finds some comfort driving alone through the countryside at night - numbness washing over him like a sluggish wave.  Since he lost his job at the auto factory, he can’t adequately provide for his family.  They could move but he doesn’t want to abandon his birthplace; the small town where he had buried his parents.  His shame is drowning him; he feels inadequate, stupid, and desperate.  He deadens his mind trying to snuff out his inner pain.  “I might as well be dead,” he reasons.

Up ahead he notices a car broken down by the side of the road.  Its passenger, an older woman, must be waiting for someone to fix the flat tire that had crippled her journey.
Jose put on a friendly smile as he approached.  Noting her worried look, he suggested that she remain in the locked car where she could remain cozy and secure.  Quickly he replaced the damaged tire.  She couldn't thank him enough for going out of his way and offered to pay him.
“If you really want to reward me,” he paused, “Simply help the next person who needs it  . . . and think of me!”  He smiled as she drove away; trying to remember the last time he felt so alive, so content.   Making a Difference!
The lady drove on, stopping at a small, dingy cafe for a late snack and some hot coffee.  Ava, the waitress, had a sweet, untiring smile - one that a hard day’s work couldn't wipe from her face.  Despite her pregnant condition, she attended to every patron without complaint.
What a warm heart on a cold winter’s night.   She wondered how Ava could be so friendly to strangers . . .  and immediately thought of Jose.
A final gulp of her coffee and the old woman hurried out of the restaurant leaving a hundred dollar bill under her empty cup with this note:
"You don't owe me a thing, I've been there too.  Someone helped me out, the way I'm helping you.  If you really want to pay me back, don't let this chain of love end with you."
Tears streamed down Ava’s cheeks.  She returned home after her shift, thrilled with her ‘windfall.’  In bed now, Ava wondered how the old lady knew that they were desperate financially; she was due next month and her husband remained terribly worried by his unemployed status.
She gave him a soft kiss and whispered, "Everything's going to be alright, I love you Jose."
My God, please don’t give up on me!  Relieve me of thoughts that lead to depression. Your Word gives us hope – hope for a joyful and fulfilling life.  I know my future is secure in Your hands.  I want to be the change!  Amen.