Monday, April 23, 2012

Love in the Shadows

“Faith, hope, and love; the greatest of these is love.” - - 1 Corinthians 13:13
Jack arrived early.  He wanted to be first – he needed to be first! 
It was just a few minutes past eight o’clock when the nurse invited him back to an exam room to have stitches removed from his forehead.   He’d taken his own stiches out plenty of times, but at 84 his hands weren’t steady enough anymore.
Nancy asked him take a seat, knowing it would be quite a while before someone would see him.   Jack kept looking at his watch, he was in a hurry!  He had a much more important appointment at 9:00am.
She examined a wound well healed.  Nancy arranged the needed supplies, got approval to remove his sutures, and redressed the wound.  Somewhere in the conversation that followed, she asked Jack if he had another doctor's appointment this morning since he was in such a rush.

“Nope!” he said proudly.  “I need to get to the nursing home to have breakfast with my lovely wife.”  He added, “Sixty-two years together and counting!”
Jack confided that his wife had been there for 7 years; a victim of Alzheimer's.  As they talked, Nancy asked if his wife would be upset if he was a bit late.
“She no longer knows who I am; she hasn’t recognized me in five years.”
Nancy probed further, "And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't recognize you?"
Jack smiled as he patted her hand, "She doesn't know me, but I know who she is!  Goosebumps flared as Nancy fought back tears.
“When my wife Helen was available to me,” I often turned to her if not instead of the Lord, ahead of Him.  God waited patiently to become my #1 confidant, but in the meantime He cared lovingly for me, at times using Helen’s hands and soul to bless my life.”
Eyes melting with compassion, Jack continued.  “I loved her from the moment we met.  Now that her memory’s abandoned her, she needs me more than ever.  Words may fail . . . but our love never will!   She knows . . . she knows!”
Isn’t that the kind of love we all dream to experience?
Sensing God's presence is difficult when confronted with dementia among loved ones.  It’s an incurable progressive brain disorder that gradually destroys a person's memory and ability to learn, reason, communicate and carry out daily activities. 
When it seems like there’s no one else to turn to – remember that if we have Jesus, we truly have all we need.  He’ll help us listen with our hearts to feel another’s pain, give us words that comfort and bring glory to His Name.
Teacher, Healer, my heart’s needs are fed through You – I know You will never leave me.  Bless me with a love that never fails, a heart that never hardens, an opinion that never hurts, and a touch that never fails to comfort.  Amen