Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bear Cares

“Do all the good you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."  ~ John Wesley
I’m Bear, a dog specially trained to help people who don’t see well.  My training started when I was just a few weeks old.  Some very nice people began cuddling and petting me.  Puppies learn faster and bond better with humans when we’re treated kindly. 
We’d go for short walks.  I hated being on a leash, but my humans were gentle with me while I learned to behave myself.  God must have given puppy raisers more patience than most people.  It wouldn’t take long before I’d become so exhausted that I’d fall asleep in Mom’s arms.  It was my favorite place for a nap.
During the next year, she taught me all sorts of neat stuff.  I learned not to bark at cars and how to walk over grates.  But the hardest part for me was not chasing squirrels.  It still bugs me that they know I’m harmless.
As I grew older, we went to lots more places – like church.  I sat in the sanctuary with people who’d love to pet me, but I had to be a “good girl” - no chewing, playing, or barking.   Restaurants are the most challenging because despite all the great-smelling things on top of the table, I had to just sit on the floor and act disinterested.    
One day I went off to a special school.  Six months of intensive training to learn about curbs, stairs, and obstacles.  They taught me how to guide a person at night, in the rain, and on busy streets.
After I passed all of my tests, I got my own person.  He loved me immediately; I could tell.  He hugged me a lot.  We worked together for a month before Graduation Day.  The hard work paid off.  My life is wonderful - serving as my friend Dave’s eyes.  We go everywhere together.  I’m one lucky dog!
Today at the store, Dave and I walked up and down the greeting card aisle.  He can see a little, so he picked up a card, held it up very close to his face, and tried to read it.  Reading is one thing I haven’t mastered yet.
Just as Dave was about to give up, a big guy looked over at me and realized that my master could use a little help.  He then proceeded to read almost every single greeting card out loud until Dave smiled and said, “That’s perfect!  My wife will love that one!”
Do you suppose, just perhaps, that God made dogs to show us a little something about Himself?  Do you think maybe "man's best friend" is really pointing us to the One who is truly our very Best Friend?
“Loving God, there is nothing more selfless, loving or patient than a dog.  Its name (DOG) is a mirror-reflection of your own name (GOD).  Hear our humble prayer, O God.  Make us as faithful as our K9 companions.  Amen.