Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sharing Hearts

“Care about others as much as you care about yourselves." ~ Philippians 2:4
One week ago my best friend was involved in a terrible car accident on her way to a high school wrestling match.  The doctors tried to prepare us for how she’d look . . . but no words could ever have described how Brandi appeared when we walked into the ICU.   My beautiful friend, so intelligent and musically gifted, who’d go off to college in the fall on a full scholarship, now lay motionless and barely recognizable.  The sadistic whoosh of a ventilator softly mocked us.  An array of lights danced purposefully on the monitor's screen. 
Six days ago we were shocked to learn that Brandi had suffered irreversible brain damage; a condition that worsened as her brain continued to swell.  I quickly learned the significance of cranial pressure measurements.  As each hour went by, I dreaded looking up at the rising numbers; yet I feared not doing so either.  She was in as deep a coma as one could be.
Five days ago, after friends and family said their good-byes for the day; I stayed in the room with Brandi.  I talked to her.  I sang old, familiar hymns to her.  I told her how much we loved her and how special she was.  I rested my head gently on her chest, listening to the beat of a heart that lived too short a life.  It all went too fast before it was time to leave the room . . . forever.
Four days ago Brandi died.  The hospital waiting room was filled with teenagers, parents and her church family. Their love and support was very comforting - proof that Brandi had touched so many lives during her short 18 years and that her family would get the help they needed from all of us in order to heal.  That day, her family learned something about Brandi they’d never known: she’d registered as an organ donor.  Doctors explained that her decision meant that her young heart would be used to save another’s life. 
Three days ago I heard that a nine year old boy named Nathan received Brandi’s heart. 
Today Nathan’s family invited me to meet him.  With someone else’s heart beating in their son’s body, the parents’ joy was tempered by intense sorrow for Brandi’s grieving loved ones.  They knew that Nathan’s second chance had come at an incalculable emotional cost for them. 
They offered me a stethoscope so that I could hear my friend’s heart beating powerfully in Nathan’s chest.  Nathan, who first suffered heart failure at age 6, smiled, then whispered to me that since he had been given my best friend’s heart, he’d be my best friend now too!  J
Lord God, who loves us from life to death and back to eternal life, inspire us to do the same for one another.  Give to me a virtuous heart, which no evil intention can divert.  Give to me a constant heart, which no pain can crush.  Amen