Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mom's Sparkle

"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." ~ Isaiah 66:13
They burn slowly rather than exploding like firecrackers.  Of course I’m talking about sparklers and my Mom loved them!  The way they crackled and danced like tiny falling stars.
She always brought plenty to our family cottage on the lake.  We'd sit near the water's edge and wave our sparklers, writing our names and drawing intricate designs in the air.  Their magic never dimmed even as Mom’s health did. 
We shared a glass of Chianti one summer night on the balcony of her assisted living apartment.  I’d been mostly quiet, still hurting from a painful divorce.  Mom knew – she always did.
She re-entered her residence, brought out a box of sparklers and lit one.  It burst into dazzling white light and sizzled all the way to the bottom of the stick!   The mini-starbursts chased years from her face.  “No problem is too big for God's light,” she said.
Reassurance washed over me like a warm blanket.  Her mere presence acted like a transfusion of her unwavering faith.  I knew everything would be alright!
Years later, Mom passed away peacefully.   I was left the task of cleaning out her apartment - emptying cabinets and closets, donating furniture to a thrift store, and boxing clothes and linens for the church rummage sale.  I scrubbed every inch of that apartment; Mom would've wanted it that way.
Alone now, there were only memories: faded paint on the walls where pictures had hung, slight indents in the carpet where furniture had been.  It was almost as if Mom had never lived there at all, and in that instant all the sadness I'd kept in check in the days following Mom's funeral welled up within me.  She was gone . . . forever.
I began checking kitchen cabinets one last time.  And there it was!  On the bottom shelf of a cabinet that I’d already emptied, laid a thin silvery thing—one lone sparkler.
I immediately too it out onto the balcony, struck a match and lit it.  As sparks popped and sputtered, I was moved by their brilliance; inspired mostly by my mother’s faith.  A spark of heaven here on earth, like Mom's last sparkler.
Some mothers teach their children to knit, bake or garden.  My mom taught me to love, to pray and to have faith.  To me those are the most important life lessons, the rest can be learned from a book.
Just as a skillful mother is able to pacify and quiet the woes of her child, so is God with us.  He will soothe you . . . calm your troubles . . . enable you to unburden your pain to the One whose wings we shelter under.
Lord, like the brilliance of a sparkler in the night’s blackness, fill us with Your holy light.  Let the radiance of Your coming expel the darkness of sin.  May our lives mirror our love for You whose love comforts us and whose wisdom guides us.  Amen