Saturday, February 20, 2016

Sea to See

“I’ll never abandon you.  I’ll be with you ‘til the end of time." ~ Matthew 28:20
After 12 years together, Tyler and Marci decided to tie the knot.  The ceremony was nothing special: no wedding gown, no ring, no cake.  No one thought to bring a camera.  Their parents were given two hours’ notice to meet them at the altar.  Marci was still amazed the minister agreed to marry them on such late notice.
They exchanged vows in a chapel decorated with flowers left over from another couple’s wedding.  Despite its spontaneous nonchalance, they loved each other.
The newlyweds drove to Santa Barbara and borrowed a friend’s small dingy.  They sailed off to enjoy a honeymoon sunset, even though storm warning flags flew briskly.  Tyler knew precious little about sailing, but how hard could it be?
They made it about 2 miles offshore before ominous clouds, strengthening winds, and steadily building waves started swamping the boat.  Marci frantically bailed water with her straw hat.  Tyler fired an outboard engine that proved virtually useless, as the propeller constantly rose out of the water in the plunging waves. 
As the sky continued to darken, Marci feared the worst.  The low rumble of thunder broke their silence. 
“Aren’t you afraid?” she asked.  “This may be our only day as a married couple!  We can’t make it back to the shore; only a miracle can save us.”
Tyler, seemingly undaunted by their predicament, thought for a moment before responding.  Then he pulled a fish scaling knife from its sheath and pointed it towards her.
“Marci, are you afraid of my knife?” he asked.
Incredulously, she snickered.  “We’re about to drown.  I’m not afraid of you or the knife in your hands.  I know you love me!”
Putting his knife safely back in its case, Tyler answered.  “I’ve no fear.  God loves me.  This storm’s in His hands!”
Falling to his knees, Tyler raised his face skyward.  "Lord.  Like your disciples in that boat long ago, we’re at peril upon an angry sea.  Then you spoke 'Peace, be still' and all was well.  I beg You to speak those words tonight.  Your will be done."
No sooner was his last word uttered did the boat stop rolling.  The rain turned to a fine mist.  Light appeared on the horizon.
"Oh, glorious God of my fathers, all is well.  Thank you!"
Friends, over time I’ve worried about many things – my health, my future, my finances, what people thought of me.  When I couldn't get my mind off of my problems, I found myself terrified.
But never fear that God doesn't love us or that He won't come through for us when we need Him. Accept the reality of His love, so that our fears don’t control us.
Lord of love, we can always trust You to rescue us.  Even when it seems that nothing’s happening in my life, I know You’re working.  You have a grand plan for me and You’ll present it right on time. Thank You!