Thursday, June 23, 2016

A Lesson in Modesty

“Sound judgment and good sense will protect you." ~ Proverbs 2:11
Dad’s Perspective :  If you have a teenage daughter, or work with teenage girls, then you know just how hard it is to reach them during those defiant, boundary-pushing years.  Fed up with my daughter’s wardrobe choices, I took the offensive.
Before heading out for family-night, I took scissors to an old pair of jeans.  My "cut-offs" left little to the imagination.
After enduring hours of painful embarrassment, we decided to cap the night off with dessert at a local ice cream joint.  Kristin pleaded for us to drive-through.  I declined – she refused and waited in the car.
I’m not sure if my lesson on modesty sunk in, but I’m glad I took a risk and parented "outside the box."  I love her and care enough to make a fool out of myself.
Daughter’s Perspective:  Some kids lose their cell phones if they're naughty, some get their allowance cut, some just get yelled at.  My Dad was far more creative.  Imagine your beefy, middle-aged dad playing mini-golf dressed like a geek, exposing legs meant to be covered.
How could he do that to me?  Tonight’s memory will be seared into my brain forever.  “People will be reminding me of this as I eat mush in the nursing home.”  #traumatizedandhumiliated
God’s Perspective:  Children, diamonds are mined from deep in the earth, covered and protected.  You’ll find pearls at the bottom of the ocean, encased in beautiful shells.  You’ll find gold shielded by layers of rock, and tough to retrieve.
Your body is sacred and unique - far more precious than gold, diamonds and pearls!
Your dress sets the tone for how others see you and your faith.  Short shorts and low-cut tops draw unnecessary attention.  Being modest in your appearance allows others to see your inner faith rather than your outer appearance.
One Final Perspective:  Dads - your approval is extremely significant in your daughter’s life, so be careful in how you relate to them.  Both words and tone matter greatly.  Even though she may act like she resents your intrusion at times, she really does care about what you think of her.
Let her know that she’s beautiful – that she is unique in your eyes and God’s.  Point out the positive, “I really like the color of that shirt – It brings out your eyes.  A little affirmation before launching into: “It’s too tight/short/see-through ...” will help her be more open to your opinion.
And don’t forget to talk to your sons too.   Teach them not to objectify women based on how they’re dressed; how what a girl wears doesn’t determine who she is as a person.  Remind them that dressing a certain way doesn’t give them a free pass in how they treat women.
Lord, help me weave a pattern of modesty into the lives of my children; habits that will become so much a part of their moral fiber that they’ll freely and fully enjoy being the adult You designed them to be.  Amen