Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Barefoot Reflections

“How clearly the sky and the earth reveal God's glory!" ~ Psalm 19:1

In this small Honduran mountain village, shoeless is the norm.  Barefoot is the only way folks travel around there, the only shoes being worn by the horses.  Children play in parched dirt; the powder settling on their young skin seems the only protection from intense sunlight.  All that play helps prepare them for a difficult life ahead.  Feet must be tough and travel-ready, not sensitive to every little rock on the trail.
As I watched young Jeffery kneel on the concrete church floor in humble prayer beside his mother, his bare feet took me back to a simpler time in my life.  A time when we kicked off our shoes and with a fresh bounce in our stride, took in the first kiss of spring warmth.
As a child, diamonds of dew often greeted us on the fresh morning grass.  Bright-green blades stuck between our toes and tickled our ankles — a reminder that I had an extra dollar in my pocket for mowing the lawn the day before.  Even cutting grass didn’t demand foot protection, because all we had was an old reel-type push mower.
The biggest threat to our feet came from the pesky pinecones littering the yard.  Constantly dropping from the evergreens that graced our lawn, they made for the most time-consuming part of the mowing job.
As the summer wore on, skin that was once so tender gained callouses.  Walking got a little easier with each rising and setting of the sun.  Tough feet helped us endure stubbed toes, thorns, splinters, and bee stings.
Occasionally, the puncture of a rusty nail would require a tetanus shot.  But even the threat of infection wasn’t enough to get us to entertain the idea of wearing shoes.
Without the soreness of my soles there was time to appreciate the fragrance of the air, the sweet fragrance of meadow flowers and buttercups that I’d missed in the winter months.  And how could one possibly claim that the blackbird’s song was not music?
Little did we know that during these memorable childhood summers, we were being brushed by the hand of God through His gift of the earth.  In those marvelous carefree days, we absorbed the soul of the soil through the soles of our feet.
Now that I’m an old man, my going barefoot is limited to inside the house.  Recently, I ventured barefoot out to the mailbox, only to find that each step was an agony from skin that hadn’t been thickened for decades.  But it reminded me that life is not a race.  It’s a walk around the block, a stroll through the park, a trip down the memories of our youth.
Lord Jesus, help me slow down when everything in me is screaming “rush!”  Help me find beauty in the way sunlight refracts through a glass of water, the squishy sound dew on grass makes when I hike through it, or the cute face a kid makes when you listen intently to them.  Amen