Monday, August 22, 2016

Sermon Snoozer

“Some people will listen but not understand; look but not really see." ~ Matthew 13:14
Time flowed like molasses at the North Pole.  Adam snuck a casual peak at his cell for the umpteenth time.  A minute had passed since he last checked an hour ago, or so it seemed.  He was witnessing an excrutiatingly slow death in the pulpit.
After a lively worship service, the preacher read Isaiah 6:1-8.  He spent about five minutes setting the scene and explaining background about King Uzziah.  Then he made three points.
First, Isaiah saw God in the temple.  Second, Isaiah heard God in the temple.  And third, (can you guess it?) Isaiah obeyed God in the temple.
Judging by the restlessness and yawns all around him, Adam was not alone in being able to predict each step before the preacher got to it.  They reached the end long before the preacher did.
The problem wasn’t that the Minister had been short on preparation, or that he was insincere.  It was that he was utterly, bone-crushingly predictable.
Adam entered Fellowship Hall literally ‘thanking God’ that this agonizingly, painful ordeal finally ended.  He found his usual group of friends and sat down for the usual post worship service jibber-jabber.  He wasted little time voicing his annoyance.
“I’ve come here for nearly a dozen years,” he began.  “And in that time I’ve heard something like 600 sermons, but for the life of me, I can’t remember a more boring one.  I think I’m wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.”
Adam was on a roll; he wasn’t about to stop until others were complaining right along with him.  Charlie, a kindly older gentleman, spoke first.
“I’ve been married for 30 years now.  In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals.  There were some I didn’t really like.  But I know this … they all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work.  If she hadn’t fed me those meals, I’d be dead today.”
“Likewise,” the wise elder continued.  “If I’d not come to church for nourishment, I’d be spiritually dead today!’
We live in a culture that finds everything boring eventually.  Attention spans are shorter.  We skim, multi-task, and click.  We like, we snap, we tweet, and move on to something else.
But the Gospel is timeless, not entertaining.  It is true, not trendy.  It has depth, not just overnight ratings.  It is God’s word to all of us, told in the story of Jesus.
While sermons will always be boring to someone, Jesus warns us to be careful how we listen.  Perhaps part of the problem is our readiness to hear the Word, and forgetting that it proclaims a divine message.
Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer, may the words from Your mouth and the meditations of Your hear, touch my heart and inspire my spirit.  Through faith, help me see the invisible, hear the inaudible. And believe the incredible!  Amen