Sunday, September 4, 2016

A Lesson at the Drive-In

“Obey the Lord our God and everything will turn out well for you." ~ Jeremiah 42:6 
As a kid, I loved going to the ‘Golden Spike’ drive-in movie theatre.   My parents would often take me and my little brother Joey on Friday nights.  It was a great respite from the summer Nebraska heat.  Part of the attraction was that the movies didn’t start until after sunset, so we got to stay up way past our bedtime.
The parking lot was terraced into small mounds so we could park our car upwards toward the giant screen.  A post with a speaker was nearby, and Dad would back our station wagon in and hang the speaker on the door.  We always tried to arrive early enough so that we could ride the train that pulled carloads of excited kids around the parking lot until it was time to watch the coming attractions and snack bar ads.
Our family brought our own snacks to save money!  It was a cheap night of family entertainment.
Joey and I would change into our pajamas before the movie started; we’d be sound asleep before the movie ended.  Mom and Dad sat in lawn chairs in front of us to catch the summer breeze.   My brother and I would lie on our stomachs in the back of the car to watch the movie.
On the night I remember, the theatre was particularly busy.  A long line awaited us moving slower than three-legged turtles.  It seemed to take forever.  When it was finally our turn to pay, the young man in the ticket booth shouted, “That’ll be $1.50 each for you, your wife and any kid seven or older.  Kids six and under get in free.  How old are the boys?"
My Dad replied, "One’s seven and the other’s five.  I guess I owe you $4.50."
The man in the booth winked at my Dad.  “Hey mister, they both look under seven to me.  You could’ve saved yourself $1.50; I wouldn't have known the difference."
Then my Dad said something I’ll never forget.  "Yes, that may be true, but my boys would have known the difference."
There’s little value placed on truth today.  Deception has become commonly accepted in advertising, in politics, in sports, and the list could go on ‘ad infinitem.’  Setting a good example for young people (whether as a parent, teacher coach, etc.) is the key to building good character.
Kid’s listen to what you say … but they BELIEVE how role models behave.  And someone who does one thing but expects or demands the opposite from a child is more likely to have discipline problems and more likely to punish excessively in an effort to overcome the influence of his or her own poor modeling.
Dear Lord, I want to be the best role model possible to my children and to the members of my church.  Give me wisdom to know when to speak and when to listen to those around me, that You may be honored and glorified in all that I do.  Amen