Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Being Useful

“Do good!  Just do good." ~ Hebrews 13:16
When I describe Grandpa, it’s with pride and sadness.  He was a man who made and kept friends with ease; always finding the best in others.  As an orphan before joining the army, I marveled at how well he did with his life.  So, it was with earnest desire, I sought his counsel one afternoon about his secret to life’s purpose.
“Ah, that age-old question,” he began.  There are many different paths.”
“A few people find life’s meaning immediately.  Early on, they develop a clear sense of purpose and pursue their dreams with energy and enthusiasm.  Still others have to look a bit harder, but if they persist and keep looking, they’ll find something to live for.  Unfortunately, too many become frustrated with the search and give up, returning to a life of pointless wandering.”
Mostly confused, I remember asking Grampa what this had to do with finding my purpose?
“The reason people have difficulty finding life’s true meaning is that they equate purpose with goal-based achievements.  Happiness can’t be a goal in itself; it’s not something that’s achievable.  God isn’t interested in your accomplishments … just your heart.
Listen to God and your inner self.  Be patient and understand your unique gifts.  There are many opportunities along the way to serve your purpose.  You don’t have to change the world, just make it a little bit better than before you were born.
What if I told you that you fulfilled your purpose when you took extra time to talk with that elderly woman in the nursing home?  Or you paid for a young couple’s dinner in the restaurant or saved that dog in traffic?  Or when you helped your coworker with something that wasn’t your job.  Or when you took your mother to a spa, tied your father’s shoes, or read a bedtime story to a child?
When you choose to act out of kindness, compassion and love, you’re already aligned with your true purpose.
No need to look any further!”
Grandpa reminded me how little I see with my eyes; how much I can see with my heart. Our eyes can only tell us what happened - never the reason, the intention, or the deep emotions that swim below.  It’s only with your heart that you can see joy, happiness, love and compassion.
He lived every day as a wonderful gift, not counting down but counting up.  Every day was something extra he'd never been owed … but given.  I think that's why he lived so long and why that wrinkled smile was never far from his rugged face.
Lord, help me live today day in humility of heart and with self-control.  Help me to walk in spirit and truth and to do only those things that I’ve heard from You, through the Word of God and the gentle promptings of Your Holy Spirit.  Amen