Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Swing (S)low

 A happy heart makes the face cheerful." ~ Proverbs 15:13

Every guy dreams of one day being just like his dad.  He can envision that day when he looks at his father and sees an exact copy of himself. 

Well, that's how it was for me ever since I was little.  He also knew how to have fun, and even if we messed up, it was never a big deal.  Dad dealt with the scariest of monsters (well, spiders at least), kept his eyes open on the rollercoaster (most of the time), and put on all the silly voices when he read a bedtime story.  I don't think I could ask for a better father. 

Like most kids, I always tried to emulate my Dad and his love of golf.  So, at about age 5, I was at my uncle’s house and we were practicing golf in his huge backyard (though I didn’t need more than 50 feet). 

Cousin Dave came up and asked if he could give it a try.  I showed him what few basics I knew – “keep your head down, focus your eyes on the front edge (target side) of the ball, and take dead aim.”

Dave took a few practice swings before addressing the ball.  As he swung, his 7-iron caught me right above the eye.  Totally my fault!  A small gash opened in the middle of my eyebrow.  It required nothing more than a general anesthetic, cleaning, and 2 stitches.

Dave kept apologizing over and over while I found myself laughing through the blood dripping down my cheek and into my mouth.  I spent the next few days walking around with a huge goose egg, a cool scar, and a black eye.  But it was so worth it. 

In time those scars would become silver trails to a better future, a road map of survival and triumph, a story that brought pride and inspired others.  For years others laughed whenever I wove the tale and gently teased Dave about his switchblade-sharp, 7-iron.

In this life, we all get a poke in the eye from time to time.  Our plans go awry.  Things work against us.  Our ups become downs, and life’s twists and turns take us where they may.  It’s best to handle them with love, acceptance, and laughter. 

It helps turn pain to joy, heartbreak into learning, and it makes God smile.  The Almighty has the most wonderful sense of humor and has gifted us with it.  We’re all imperfect!  Christians who experience a wellspring of joy, are the same people who find it easy to laugh at themselves.  They tend to be much happier and self-confident.

So, keep smiling - even when there’s a goose egg on your forehead and an elbow in your eye.

“Now I lay me down to sleep.  I pray dear Lord my shape to keep.  Please no wrinkles; please no bags and lift my butt before it sags.  Please keep me healthy, keep me young, and thank you Jesus for all You've done.  Amen” (Retiree’s Prayer)