Sunday, February 19, 2023

Thank You Arby's

 “Love believes, hopes, and endures all things." ~ 1 Corinthians 13:7

They dined there 3 or 4 times a week for, well I don’t know for sure how long, but probably since the eatery sold subs for only 69 cents. Maybe it was the casual atmosphere or the highly-stacked,  slow-roasted, beef sandwiches.

There are delis all across America that pile them a foot high with a variety of meats. But do they serve curly fries? Do they have delicious milkshakes? Umm... no!

Could it be they chose Arby’s as their go-to spot because they were the first fast-food restaurant to offer a lighter menu (1991) with fewer than 300 calories or that they banned smoking in all their locations (1994) before anyone else?

We’re unknowingly surrounded by great love stories every day, whether it’s a couple you briefly see on the bus or the pair beside you in a restaurant. But, while Fred and Janice appeared to be out just for a meal, there was a lot more to their story. So, I watched and listened.

They found a familiar booth near the window. I wondered if they might sit across from each other.

Fred spoke quietly. “Damn!” he uttered, “I forgot my hearing aids again. I better sit over next to you dear, or I won’t be able to hear you.”

Janice replied tenderly: “Fred, I saw you put your hearing aids in! If you want to sit next to me, just say so.”

He nodded with a chuckle, “Aw, you got me!” He’d undoubtedly used that one before.

He unwrapped a plain sandwich and carefully cut it in half, placing one half in front of Janice. She then carefully counted out the curly fries, dividing them into two piles. They took turns sipping from a drink with two straws and savored the meal over light chatter.

When it was time to leave, Fred emptied the trash, but not before addressing Arby’s staff. “Please make a reservation for Valentine’s Day for us. We want to make sure we get our favorite spot again,” he teased.

Too precious! I was curious, so I returned about the same time on February 14th. Sure enough, I found them seated at the same table. But this time it was decorated for the occasion.

Janice smiled and shared a note that had been left for them. “To share a deep love and bond that only grows as we age is one of the most beautiful things on earth. Thank you for gracing our place with your presence!” ~ signed ‘The Arby’s Staff’

The thought of two people demonstrating such tenderness is heart-melting at any age, but this special moment reminds us that no matter how old we get, we have plenty of little ways to show each other how much we care.

Almighty Father, help me to be the [husband/wife] You intended me to be. Show me where I need to improve. Help me to be a better communicator, help me to love my spouse better, and help us both to grow closer to You every day. Amen