Thursday, March 23, 2023

Thank You

 “To Him be glory and honor forever!" ~ Romans 11:36

I’ve been thinking a lot about gratitude lately and the immense value the two little words “Thank You” bring. When we say them, we remind ourselves that we’ve been given something of value and acknowledge the role that the receiver(s) have played in making our life better, more enjoyable, and more worthwhile.

When someone takes the time to read something I’ve written and responds to it in some way, I want to say “Thanks.” Your time is a valuable commodity. The least I can do is say “Thank You.” I appreciate your recognition of my work – in that way we raise each other up.

Some might think that saying “Thank You” too often cheapens it. But, that’s like saying too much love cheapens love. Can you imagine getting too much love?

Some 12+ years ago, when my Mom died of cancer, I wondered who would fill the void in her selfless giving. I no longer had the passion for the auto industry work that I’d cherished for over 30 years. So, I walked away and tried to fill her vacancy.

I started this blog in early 2011. Now, some 900 stories later, I’m reminded of the lyrics from one of my favorite musician/storytellers – Tom May:

“Thank you for your time, you make the pleasure mine,

You underline the words to every line in every song.

I’d be dead wrong if I thought that I could do this on my own


Thanks for never leaving me alone.”

So “Thank You!”

I love saying that. Those are two of the sweetest, kindest words anyone can say. People are often more motivated by appreciation than they are by money.

I spend time putting together stories that I hope will be interesting, thought-provoking, uplifting, and entertaining. I’m grateful you find them worth your time to read.

Some of the stories have revealed some of my many shortcomings cleverly hidden within another fictional character. You, my friends, have given me a safe space to share my most private thoughts and deepest flaws.

You’ve been witness to stories of grief and joy, of desperation and spiritual growth. You’ve come to know that I believe in America, respect our military, and adore animals. I‘ve highlighted people of great character, bold courage, and humble achievement. I’ve written stories that can be shared with younger readers to encourage inclusiveness and integrity while discouraging self-absorption, bullying, and substance abuse.

I’ve also tied to share insights into the glory and forgiveness of a magnificent God. Many have heard me say that I’m only the stenographer. Without God’s grace and direction, this blog would be shallow, undisciplined, and self-promoting. It’s only with His encouragement and unending guidance, that this blog now reaches people from all over the world. “To Him be the glory.”

Thank you, Lord, for the life you have blessed me with. Help keep our eyes and hearts on You. Renew our spirits, fill us with Your peace and joy. We give you praise and thanks, for You alone are worthy! Amen