Thursday, February 17, 2011

His Perfect Storm

“Don't be afraid. I am with you. Don't tremble with fear.  I am your God. I will make you strong, as I protect you with my arm and give you victories.”  -- Isaiah 41:10
The Pastor slowly stood up and walked to the pulpit.  He briefly introduced the guest speaker, an old childhood friend actually, who had a powerful story to share.   
The old man began to tell his emotional tale with calm reverence:
"A father, his son, and his son’s friend were sailing off the Pacific coast," he began, ". . .  when a swift storm erupted and blocked any attempt to get back to the shore.  Even though the father was an excellent sailor, the waves were so high and the gale so mighty, he could not keep the boat upright.  The three were swept into the chilly, dark ocean when the boat capsized."
"Grabbing a rescue line, the father was forced to make the most painful decision of his life: to which boy would he throw the life line?  He had only seconds to decide. The father knew that his son was a Christian; his son's friend was not.  The agony of his decision could not be matched by the violence of the waves.
As the father yelled out “I Love You, Son!” he threw the life line to his son's friend.  By the time the father had pulled the friend back to the capsized boat, his son had disappeared beneath the raging swells into the black night.  His body was never recovered," the old man whispered sadly.
With a thunderous voice he concluded: "Knowing his son would enjoy eternal life with Jesus, he sacrificed his lone son to save his son's friend!”
With that, the old man turned and sat back down in his chair as deadly silence filled the room.
After the service, a pair of teenage boys cornered the old man.  "That was a nice story," one of the boys said respectfully, "But, I don't think it was very realistic for a father to give up his only son's life in hopes that the other would become a Christian."
"Well, you've got a point there," the old man replied.  He glanced down at his badly worn Bible and a big smile broadened his narrow, weathered face.  “That story is for real.  It gives me a better understanidng of what it must have been like for God to give up His only Son for me.  
“You see . . . I was that father, and your Pastor is my dead son's friend."
Heavenly Father – How great is Your love that You gave your only Son so that I could be saved from the flood of sins that tempt me daily.  You are the calm in a storm of           anxieties . . .  and my lifeline to salvation.   You are my King!