Thursday, August 4, 2011

Signed Jesus and Me

 “Everyone who has faith in me will live, even if they die.” – John 11:25
With cheerless eyes, his mother thanked the nursing staff for taking such good care of her young son while he was sick.  She wept now, “Where was God when we needed Him?” she asked to no one in particular.
She left the hospital for the last time, a small bag with his belongings clutched close to her heart. She knew it would be hard to enter their empty house – a home that was once filled with little boy toys, and laughter, and bedtime stories.
She placed his life’s treasures back in his room exactly where he had kept them.  Hugging his pillow, she lay across his bed and sobbed until sleep came.  She woke around midnight.  On the bed beside her was this neatly folded letter:
Dear Mommy:
I know you miss me.  But I’ll never forget you just 'cause you can’t see me.  I’ll love you even more each day.  Someday we’ll see each other again.
Until then, it’s OK with me if you want to adopt a little boy so you won't be so lonely.  He can have my room and all my toys to play with. If you decide to get a daughter instead, you'll have to buy her girl stuff you know.
Don't be sad Mommy. This is a really neat place.  Dad, Grandma and Grandpa met me when I got here and showed me around.  Wow!  The angels are so cool. I love to watch them fly.  Maybe I can too someday.
Know what else?  Jesus doesn't look like any of his pictures. But, when I saw Him, I knew it was Him. He took me to see GOD!  And guess what? I got to sit on God's knee and talk to Him, like I was somebody important.
That's when I ask Him if I could write you this letter.  He made it happen right away.  Only you can see what I’ve written.  
God told me the answer to one of the questions you kept asking Him – “Where was He when you needed him?”  He was right there with me, like He was when His son Jesus was on the cross.  He kept me calm; I wasn’t afraid at all.  You’ll like Him a lot when you meet Him.
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I don't hurt anymore. The cancer is all gone. I'm glad because I couldn't stand that pain anymore and God didn’t want me to see me hurt so much either. That's when He sent his Angel to bring me home.  Sleep well Mommy, I’ll be close by.
Signed Jesus & Me
God of power and mercy, you have made death itself the gateway to eternal life.  Make me strong in love and forgiveness for those you entrust to my care.  Be with me always, so that when I come home to Heaven, all my family with be with me.  Amen.