Monday, August 8, 2011

You Are So Special

I love you, just as my Father loves me.  So remain faithful.  If you obey me, I will love you, just as my Father keeps loving me.  -- John 15: 9-10
Farming and ranching takes grit, spirit, and determination.  Their stories are filled with family, friends, joys and sorrows.  It’s those real life tales that remind us that food doesn’t simply come from the grocery store - it comes from everyday, hard working people.
The livestock they raise are their paychecks, and they treat them with great care.  They become close to their animals – like we love our dogs and cats and hamsters.
Thirteen year old Logan lives on a ranch in Western Nebraska.  That’s right – he’s Husker!  He loves life on the ranch.  He loves life period!  And he loves our God.

One night he and his dad were out roping a small calf.  The practice of catching a calf with a rope thrown around its neck is required sometimes for branding or medical treatment. The calf had been born from a really old cow that really didn’t produce the greatest milk anymore – she lacked important vitamins.  Therefore, her bones and muscles were not well developed.
In the roping process, the calf broke her back.  And in the morning, Logan had to put the calf down by himself.  He was heartbroken.  He blamed himself.  He talked to God – right there in the pasture.
“Why God?  She was special,” cried Logan.  
And God replied, “You know, Logan, My Son was special too!  But he died for a purpose.”  Through his sobbing eyes Logan realized that it’s kind of the same thing.  He loved that special calf just like God loved his Son.  “God especially loves me too!” he reasoned. 
We are all extraordinary in God’s eyes.  You are special even with all your oddities.  You might be short with hair that can't be controlled but hey, you are special.  You might be a math genius.  Maybe you just can't stand math; but you are still special.  You may talk too much, laugh too loud; you might even stink at cooking.  Maybe you hate football or you don't have what it takes to make the volleyball team - but you are still special.  God had you in mind when He made you . . .  and He doesn't make mistakes.  
He has a job for you to do that nobody else can do as well as you can.  Out of the billions of applicants, only one qualified.  Only one has the unique and right combination of what it takes.  You’re the ONE!
So stop trying to be who you are not.  Gather the courage to be as unique as God made you!
Sweet Jesus – Thank You for making me so special in your eyes.  Help me see myself the way You see me – especially when I am lonely, or frustrated, or mad at myself.  Remind me, Father, that Your love for me is endless and ginormous.  Amen.