Thursday, November 3, 2011

Face Values

"You obey the law of Christ when you help carry another’s burden.” – Galatians 6:2

Gladys had but one eye.   Curious stares, strange looks, hurtful remarks and even put-downs were all part of her everyday life.  We all learned that looks are only ‘skin deep,’ but the face is the first part of the body we normally see when meeting someone.  All too often, we judge people based on first impressions. 

Gladys had a lonely life, made worse by a daughter often humiliated by her appearance.   Kids would tease, taunt and even bully Mandy on account of her mom.  Teens can get easily embarrassed by parents publicly fussing over them, or by acting in ways ‘not their age.’  But this was deeper – actually bordering on hatred.

As Mandy recalled, “One day Mom came to my elementary school just to say hello.  I was mortified.  I ignored her, threw her a terrible look and ran out.   I wanted to die!  I also wished my mom would disappear for good, and I told her as much!”

Mandy was angry, oblivious to her Mom’s feelings. 

Gladys didn’t respond.  She knew that someday Mandy would come to realize that there was a person behind the face.  “Love her . . . to love me,” she prayed. 

Friction between the two intensified, until one day Mandy packed her bags and left for good.  Mandy eventually got married and had children of her own.  They hadn’t spoken in years.  Gladys had never even met her two grandchildren.

One day she decided their separation had gone on long enough, and went to visit Mandy.  As she stood at the door, hoping to be invited in, the children appeared - frightened by her strange face.  Mandy yelled at her for coming uninvited and told her to leave.   Gladys answered politely, “Oh, I'm so sorry.  I must have gotten the wrong address,” and left at once. 

Before leaving, she discreetly left Mandy a handwritten note.  Out of curiosity, Mandy opened the tattered letter [which must have been penned long ago] and read:

Dearest Mandy,
I think of you all the time, wishing of course that I hadn’t been a constant embarrassment to you as you were growing up.  When you were very little, you had an accident, and lost your eye.   I couldn't bear watching you having to grow up with one eye, so I gave you mine.  I was so proud to view a whole new world through your eyes.  All my love, Mom

Perhaps you are, or know of a friend or relative who lives with a handicap.  We need to remember that without warning . . . we too could become disabled and have to depend on others for our well being.  Be that spark of encouragement someone needs right now!

 Lord, bless those with physical limitations and help them succeed in whatever trials they may face today.  Open our hearts and eyes, to see more clearly that compassion is what’s needed; not pity.  Amen