Monday, January 14, 2013

Heaven Sent

“Keep your mind on heavenly things, not earthly ones." ~ Colossians 3:2

Dawn came dimly to the north Wisconsin woods, muffled by a gray, woolen sky.  Old man Korn sat motionless on a tree stand amidst his sprawling property.  He’d hunted from this same spot for nearly five decades, capturing hundreds of game.  Today the biggest prize of his life found him!
Somehow in the bare branches of the old Sugar Maple, scarcely protected from the harsh November winds, two deflated pink balloons hung inches from his skull cap.  A tightly rolled note was attached by a bright red ribbon.  There was no “camouflaging” the burly woodsman’s tearful emotions after reading a child’s message written just three days earlier.
Dear God, Please take care of my dog Abby? She died yesterday and is with you now in heaven.  I miss her very much.  I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even when she got sick.  I hope you will play with her.  She likes to fetch balls and to swim.  I included a drawing of her so when you see her, you will know that she is my dog.  I really miss her.   Love, Meredith.
Addressed to God c/o Heaven, the letter had a return address from a location 50 miles or more from Korn’s place.
He returned home later that day, touched by his discovery and the heartfelt message it delivered.  He’d have to think carefully about how best to respond to a girl he’d never met. 
Two days later, a package addressed to Meredith lie on the family’s front porch.  Beneath the foil wrapping was a book written by Mister Rogers titled “When a Pet Dies.”   Her letter was taped inside its well-worn cover with this note in an unfamiliar script:
My dearest Meredith, Abby arrived safely in heaven.  I recognized her right away.  Having the picture was a big help.  She isn't sick anymore.  Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.
Abby loved being your dog.  Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abby by.
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your wonderful mother for helping you write it.  I picked her especially for you.  By the way, you don’t have to write, I'm always there whenever you need me.  I love you very much, God
Innocent words remind us all of the capacity of love, the magic of young friendships, but above all, what’s possible when you set your sights on the heavens.
There are rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb; but together we can do it one step at a time.  And when it's time for you to go . . . from your body to be free, remember you're not going . . . you're coming here to me. ~ God