Wednesday, January 30, 2013

This Old Man

“Be joyful in hope, patient in times of trouble, faithful in prayer." ~ Romans 12:12
Early morning rush hour in NYC – there’s nothing like it.  It’s amazing the number of people that you see in one day.  Think about it: you share sidewalks, subways, elevators, movie theaters.  It’s astounding!  But few strangers touched me like the old man from Brooklyn.
I stared out the window lost in self-pity.  My hours had been cut at work; bills were piling up.  There wasn’t a day in the past few months that my wife and I hadn’t argued about finances or the stress of raising two teenagers.  Depression was clawing at me – I couldn’t think of one thing I was thankful for . . . until I met Art.
He rattled though the subway car, a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a portable oxygen tank in the other.  As usual, the car was packed so I offered him my seat.  Struggling to catch his breath, he fumbled with the tubing and managed a polite ‘thank you’ before sitting down. 
“Would you like some help?” I offered.
“No,” he said gulping air.  “I have to get used to this myself; there’s no one at home to help anymore!” 
“My name’s Marco,” I said, compassion washing over me. 
With eyes that seemed to sparkle he said “I’m Art!” The ensuing conversation went by too quickly.  I learned that Art fought in WWII fresh out of high school.  He best friend died in his arms from a land mine’s shrapnel.  He talked about coming home to his sweetheart and making a home with more love than money.  Their son, his pride and joy, was killed in Vietnam by a sniper’s bullet. 
I began to feel embarrassed about my own wallowing.  I hadn’t experienced a fraction of the tragedy that Art had.  I asked how he’d managed to cope with it all.
“Son,” he began gently, “Life’s a gift!  I had a childhood friend to grow up with, a woman to love, and a son to be proud of!  It’s the people in your life that make it worth living.  Make memories you’ll cherish to get you through the hard times.”
With that he handed me the flowers.  “I was going to give these to my wife,” he said, “but you’ve been a great listener.  I want you to have them.”  I thanked him and took the flowers.  He got off at the next stop outside the local cemetery, and headed in.
Returning home that evening, I pulled my wife into a gently embrace.  “Do you know how much I love you?” I asked.
What’s gotten into you?” she asked with a broad smile.
“A very wise man brought me to my senses today,” I said with a soft kiss.
Today Lord, I’m not asking for favors.  Today I thank You for giving me another day, another chance to become a better person, another chance to give and experience love, another opportunity to do it right.    Thank You Lord.