Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tails of Happiness

“As we muddle through the wreckage that’s half hope and half despair, you stand by like an anchor, tail wagging in the air." ~ Sarah Sypniewski “Paws Amidst Pain”
Clyde’s my name – therapy’s my game.  I help humans through grief and loss, pain and suffering, fear and anxiety, sadness and depression.  I have no formal training on the subject; to be honest I can’t even speak English.  I have no therapy couch – my patients get treatment in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, and disaster sites.  I’m a certified Therapy Dog.
I don’t mind that many of them are elderly, disabled, emotionally broken and possibly oblivious to their surroundings.  I love attention from people and accept them just the way they are.   Patients and residents look forward to my visits.  Many of them are lonely, bored and depressed, but their faces light up when they see me.
Larry loves my visits to his nursing home.  I’ve helped him overcome loneliness and boredom by entertaining him with my antics.  We’re more than just loveable canines; the nurses think our visits are one of the best types of therapy.
I’ll never forget Lacey, who fled her abusive home in the middle of the night.  Without the comforts of home, she left with only a small suitcase and without her beloved puppy.  A comforting substitute, I laid at the foot of her bed in the shelter until she found safe, restful sleep.
Sometimes the Red Cross calls me to work with their staff and volunteers at disaster sites around the country.  Their emergency workers labor tirelessly under stressful situations, but even they need a little therapy once in a while.  I provide “hugging time” for those who suffer their own emotional strain in dealing with the devastation of others.
Hal for example, discovered the dead body of a small child washed away in a Midwestern flood.  Dejected and forlorn, he sat trying to erase that memory from a mind that wouldn’t let it go.  I’m not exactly sure how my magic works, but his face brightened as I approached.  He reached out and stroked my fur as I gently nuzzled his leg.  “Thanks boy,” he said, as warm tears ran down both cheeks; defenses broken by a non-threatening, tail-wagging boxer. 
For those who think I’m “just a dog,” you probably “just don’t understand.”  You probably use words like “just a friend” and “just a sunset” too.  Dogs like me can’t heal somebody's wounds, but we do make a difference if you follow our example:
If you’re breathing, that’s reason enough to be cheerful.  Be yourself - it doesn't matter if you don't fit in!  Have fun, hug often, help whenever you can.  Accept everyone for who they are.  Make sure the people you care about know it.  And finally but most important - Bark less . . . wag more!  
Lord Jesus, Protect my friends, Your creatures, who provide happiness and unbridled companionship.  Help me bring joy to all humanity by diverting attention from the worries of the day.  ~ Love Clyde