Monday, April 8, 2013

Heart Revival

“We make our own path, but the Lord guides our steps." ~ Proverbs 16:9
Ed was watching TV when he felt something near his heart.  At first it was dull and painless, but it quickly grew into something like an elephant sitting on his chest.  Then a tiny electric current traveled down his left arm and his fingers went numb.
He knew immediately what was happening – he just couldn't believe it!  I'm having a heart attack, he thought.  He was perfectly healthy the last time he saw his doctor.  When was that—three or four years ago?  Soaking wet now and too weak to stand, Ed crawled to the kitchen and dialed 911 just before he lost consciousness. 
The next morning a hospital nurse explained that he had "coded".  In ER-speak, that means his heart had stopped and emergency workers resuscitated him.  He was lucky; God wasn’t ready for him yet. 
Now three weeks later, Ed paced nervously for the results of his latest stress test.  His heart fluttered as an unremarkable, 50-something cardiologist entered the room. 
“So Ed,” the Dr. began casually.  “How was your heart attack?
That seemed like an odd way to begin a conversation, but Ed replied, "It scared me to death, almost!  I never want to experience that again.”  By virtue of his profession, it seemed to Ed that the Dr. should have more insight into matters of the heart.
“Hmm!” mumbled the Dr. as he scribbled notes on Ed’s medical record.  "Does your life mean more to you than it did before?" he questioned.
"Well, yes," Ed replied thoughtfully.  “Sharon and I’ve had a wonderful marriage, but now we’re closer than ever?"
“I see,” the Doc grunted without glancing up from his clipboard.  "Do you have more empathy, a deeper understanding and compassion for others?"
"I believe so," Ed replied.  “I never realized how important my friends were and how valuable they became during my recovery.”
The Dr. looked up, his eyes burrowing into Ed’s soul.  "Do you know the Lord in richer fellowship than you ever believed possible?"
"Yes!" Ed said softly.  “I have a new appreciation for God’s plan.  Thy will be done’ adds a profound purpose to my life!”
"How did you like your heart attack?" the Dr. asked finally. 
Silence was Ed’s answer.
In every situation we have been given the free will to choose our response.  We can choose to be worried, conflicted, confused . . . or we can react with confidence, trust, and peace of mind.  Every moment allows us the chance to begin anew.  Knowing that we have the opportunity to respond in any way we choose, shows the absolute power of free will.
Breathe on me, breath of God, fill me with life anew, that I may love what Thou dost love, and do what Thou wouldst do.  Breathe on me, breath of God, until my heart is pure, until with Thee I will one will, to do and to endure. ~ Edwin Hatch 1878