Monday, May 13, 2013

Grass Isn’t Always Greener

“Do your work enthusiastically, as though you were serving the Lord himself, and not just your earthly master.” ~ Colossians 3:23
Joey dreamed of mowing lawns almost since he was old enough to walk.  He wasn’t sure whether it was the smell of freshly cut grass, the thrill of operating dangerous equipment, or just the joy of summer that he loved most.  By age 13, he’d saved enough from odd jobs and a small allowance to buy a used mower.
Joey stirred sleepily in his bed as the first Saturday of spring announced its arrival with sweet chirping sounds outside his half-open window.  He jumped up, filled his lungs with fresh air and drank in the sunshine.  Winter had officially said its goodbyes.  And after last week's rain, the grass seemed greener.  

As the fog of slumber cleared from his head, Joey bounded down the stairs to greet the day.  Grabbing a quick breakfast snack, he raced to the garage.  A few rope pulls and his well-worn machine choked to life.
Memories of his grandfather mowing the yard surfaced, his trademark pipe clenched firmly between his teeth.  He was a bulldog of a man with a quick temper and always ready with a pinch on the ear lobe for any misbehavior.
He grabbed his cell phone and headed for his favorite park bench.  Time to line up some summer jobs, he thought.  An older woman answered his call on the second ring.
“Good morning M’am” Joey said politely.  “Can you give me the job of cutting your lawn?”  The woman at the other end answered, “I already have someone who cuts my lawn.”
“I’d be willing to cut your lawn for $5 less than the person who cuts it now,” Joey offered.  The woman answered, “I’m quite satisfied with my current lawn mowing service, thank you!”
So Joey ‘sweetened’ the deal: “M’am, I’ll even trim your bushes and plant your flowers for free.”
“You seem very nice young man,” she said kindly.  “But, no, thank you.” Then she hung up.
With a smile on his face, Joey prepared to make his next call.
A man, who overheard Joey’s side of the conversation, approached the boy.  “Son, I like your attitude; I love that positive spirit and would like to offer you a job.”
“No thanks,” Joey said unexpectedly.
“But you were just pleading for one,” the man questioned.
“No Sir,” Joey countered.  “I’m already working for the lady I was talking to!  I was just checking her satisfaction with my work.”
Our actions reflect who we are . . . how people view us.  Successful people go beyond the bare minimum and consistently give more than expected.  God shaped you for a purpose and He expects you to make the most of what you've been given. 
Lord, I know that my best effort does not always translate into my best result.  But greatness comes from doing many small things well.  Help me always give my         best effort and create habits that’ll pave the way for everlasting life.  Amen