Thursday, May 16, 2013

Ridley's Rebirth

“Charm can be deceiving, and good looks fade away, but one who honors the LORD deserves to be praised.”  ~ Proverbs 31:30
Ridley, a flashy grullo stallion strutted about the meadow; three mares in tow.  His silver-grey coat, fiery nostrils, and wide eyes kept him popular with the ‘ladies.’   He protected them gallantly; should a stray dog enter the field, Ridley would charge with ears flat back and teeth bared.  During foaling time when his mare was in labor, he’d pace the fence braying encouragement to her.  He wouldn’t leave to eat or drink until his foal was safely delivered.
Despite his many good qualities, he had one overpowering vice.  Ridley wanted to be perfect in every way.
He often prayed for more beauty: "Lord, you gave me many good qualities.  For these I am grateful!  But how I wish you would make me more beautiful.  I deserve happiness.”

One day God answered.  "I’m ready to make you more attractive.  Just tell me what you’d like changed."
Stunned yet elated, the pompous horse spoke boldly.  "It seems to me that I’m not well proportioned.  My neck’s too short.  If you’d make my neck a little longer, my upper body will be noticeably more beautiful.  I’d like to stand taller.  If you’d make my legs longer and thinner, then I’ll look infinitely more beautiful in my lower body."
God answered, "Amen!" and with that, a camel appeared instantly where the stallion had once stood.  
Ridley started to cry.   "No no, I don’t wish to be a camel.  As a horse everyone valued my good qualities.  Nobody will appreciate me as a camel."
God replied, "Beauty comes in many forms.  Every creature in my Kingdom has its own wonderful qualities.  The camel may not be as outwardly beautiful as a horse, but its beauty lies within.  Few animals can carry heavier loads or more responsibility.”
Most of us scrutinize our appearance.  Teenage years are especially plagued with self-doubt and self-consciousness.  Many teens don’t like the way they look or feel.   Some adults aren’t much better, spending billions each year on cosmetic “do-overs.”
One way to combat this is to focus on the things that you love about yourself, physical or otherwise.  When you look in the mirror instead of focusing on the things you don’t like about yourself (like big ears or small lips) focus on the good things (like a warm smile, endearing eyes, or friendly personality).
Most people probably don’t notice your “flaws.”  They may just be a big deal to you.   Think about it – do you judge people on one physical attribute?   Chances are you don’t; you probably take in the whole person.  That’s what other’s do too.
Divine Friend, I know how to criticize myself, I’ve had a lot of practice.  But I’m realizing it keeps me feeling small.  And that keeps me from contributing the beauty in my soul.  Help me accept and love myself as I am.  Amen