Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Death Row

“Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself." – Unknown
This letter was written by the Father whose son the recipient had murdered.   It was written to a prisoner from the heart – not out of guilt, but with compassion; not for publicity, but from humility. 
You’re probably shocked that, I of all people, am writing to you.  Please read to the end and consider my request seriously. I’ve something very important to say to you.
As the Father of the man who you helped murder . . . I forgive you, with all my heart.
This may be hard for you to believe, but I really do!  At your trial, when you confessed to your part in the events that cost my Son his life and asked for my forgiveness, I immediately granted you that from my heart. I can only hope you believe me and will accept my forgiveness.
I want you to become my adopted child.  My Son who died was my only child.  I long to share my life with you and leave my riches to you.  This may not make sense to you or anyone else, but I believe you’re worth it despite all that has happened.
I arranged matters so that if you will accept my offer of forgiveness, not only will you be pardoned for your crime, but you will also be released from your imprisonment.  Your death sentence will also be dismissed. 
I realize this is risky - you might be tempted to reject my offer completely - but I make it to you without hesitation.  Don’t be concerned that you may screw up again and lose your rights as an heir to my wealth.  Once I have forgiven you for your part in my Son's murder . . . I can forgive you for anything.  You’ll never be perfect, but you don’t have to be perfect to receive my offer.
Besides, I believe that once you begin to experience the riches that will come to you from me, you’ll likely be more humble, thankful and loyal.  I’m not worried about being called “foolish,” I just wish for you to call me “Father.”
Love, God
Forgiveness – it’s NOT a natural part of who we are; it’s love's toughest work and biggest risk.  It seems so unnatural.  Our sense of fairness tells us people should pay for the wrong they do.  But forgiving is love's power to break nature's rule.  It’s an act only for those strong in character – a strength that comes from a loving God.  It’s irreversible!  Forgiving without forgetting . . . is not really forgiving.  Is there someone in your life that needs your forgiveness?
Forgiving God, the true source of love and forgiveness, forgive me first; for anything I didn’t do today which I might have done; for any help I might have given which I held back.  Help me to find happiness in forgiving myself and the strength to forgive those who might have offended me.  Amen