Sunday, September 15, 2013

Don't Let the Sun Set

“Never let the sun go down while you’re still angry.” - - Ephesians 4:16
Fifteen year old Mandy came home late from school in a foul mood.  She’d picked a nasty fight with her boyfriend; well at least he was before the argument.  He claimed that he had no idea why she was mad at him . . . which was in fact the reason she was angry.  Boys can be so insensitive. 
Her daily chores would have to wait until tomorrow; way too upset today!  Stomping into the kitchen, she faced her furious mother.  After the day I had today, she can’t possible expect me to do those mindless household tasks, she thought.  Mandy mustered an annoyed-look right back. "What?" she snapped.
"Don’t use that tone with me Amanda,” Mom warned.  She used Amanda’s legal name when she was really pissed at her.  “You’re nanoseconds from being grounded!"
"Whatever." Sara muttered in her best “I-don’t-give-a-crap tude.  She threw some dishes around in the sink, trying to make as much noise as possibly.  A plate cracked, her hand bled, she swore - loudly!
Mandy’s mother shouted lividly, "How dare you use that language!  Go to your room!"  But Mandy refused, throwing down the towel she’d used to wipe blood off her hand.  Mom slapped her, harder than expected.  Mandy cowered, staring at her in disbelief; she’d never been struck before.
"I HATE YOU!" Mandy screamed before running from the house.  Mom followed – remorse tearing at her now.  “Mandy!” she screamed, chasing after her.
"Leave me alone!" Mandy cried, darting across the street.  I HATE YOU!" she yelled again and continued running  . . . until she heard a blaring horn, screeching tires and the thud of flesh on metal.  She turned, hoping it wasn’t what she knew it was.
People crowded around the lifeless body lying broken in the middle of the street.
"NOOO!" she screamed pushing through the crowd, kneeling by her mom. "Oh God, Oh God  . . .” she wailed, sobbing so hard it hurt.  She couldn't believe the last words she’d spoken to her were "I hate you."
Anger effects your heart.  When we’re angry, it’s hard to say things like, “I’m Sorry . .” or,  “I was wrong.”  It’s a lot easier to say cruel things like, “I hate you.”  Rage destroys trust, relationships, and ultimately people you love.  Sometimes it can be reversed, but not too easily.
The moments when I’ve successfully avoided anger are some of the best of my life.  Not only did I avoid crawling back to offer my apology, but I avoided the fear about getting hurt again, the bitterness that results in holding grudges, and the intolerance which leads to hostility and physical suffering.
Lord, I’m finding that You alone can break my fall.  Soften my heart when anger flares so that I might avoid hurting others and losing their trust. Help me to count more blessings, and to call attention to the best things in others.  Amen