Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Body Trap

"Don’t worry about anything, but pray about everything." ~ Philippians 4:6
It’s behind the cherry wood kitchen cabinets where calories abound that my story begins.
While fixing dinner last night, our 8 year old daughter Chloe pranced into the kitchen, pulled up her shirt and asked “Am I fat?”  “Of course not,” I responded.  “You’re just right!”  Then I asked what prompted the question.
She said her tummy felt full after eating.  Relief washed over me like a cool breeze. “That’s the way our bodies tell us we’ve had enough to eat - like the gas gauge in our car.  When the gauge reads full, the car doesn’t need any more fuel.  It won't do any good to keep filling it; the gas will just be wasted.” 
That seemed to satisfy her curiosity, or so I thought.  Until today when I got a call from Chloe’s teacher asking why I hadn’t sent lunch for her the past few days.
Her question hung in the air in exactly the way a brick doesn't.  I can’t remember how, or even if, I replied.  Shock quickly turned to fear, recalling the articles I’d read about how anorexia was spreading among elementary children.  Slumping lifelessly onto the couch I wept.  Then sobbed even harder, consumed by feelings of guilt, panic and helplessness.
Before today, I thought eating disorders happened to other people’s kids.  Not to my daughter, who was savvy and wise, strong and funny.
Before today I thought kids with anorexia wanted attention; that they were perfectionists, bored or self-destructive.  But my daughter was none of those things. 
We’ve always been a close family, open to discuss things, not judgmental, not punitive.  We needed to save our daughter, but we had no tools.  Nothing in our bag of parenting tricks was remotely useful in this situation.  We couldn’t reason with her; anorexia overpowers rational thought.  We needed professional help.
Just then Chloe walked in, noticed I’d been crying and snuggled up next to me.
“Honey,” I began, “The school called and said that you’ve not been eating the lunches I send each day.  Are you dieting to lose weight?  Are you OK?”
Confused, Chloe looked up.  Her expression lacked the maturity it takes to understand the sinister dangers of this world.  She said, "Katie’s Mom is in the hospital and hasn’t been able to make any meals for the last week, so I gave her a few of my lunches.” 
Praise God!
God calls us to something greater than a life of balancing scales; He calls us to place the full weight of our struggles on Scripture’s promises.  To Him, we’re more than any number - neither our weight nor our grade-point averages can define.
Lord, let me accept each day as a gift.  Help me to be thankful for what You give me and trust You’ll take care of all my needs.  Remind me that my role is to love those around me and focus on those who need my help.  Amen