Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Bridge to Nowhere

“Don’t die before your time by being too evil or acting like a fool." ~ Ecclesiastes 7:17
When Michael got to the bridge, he pulled his car to the side of the road.  With the engine still running and the door left wide open, he made his way over the railing.  He glanced down at the black water and the white foam crashing the jagged rocks below.  Looking over the edge made him queasy; the drop was easily 6 stories.
Ironic really!  There he stood contemplating suicide, yet holding onto the bridge railing for dear life.  His sobbing was interrupted by the hushed sound of worn loafers.  “You're not the first,” said an empathetic voice.  “You’re the third one this year!”
Michael chuckled. The homeless man glaring back at him with his mangled dirty hair, fingerless gloves, and wretched stench might be the last person on earth that Michael talked to.  That thought itself nearly pushed him over the edge.
But he didn’t.  Peering down, he imagined the point of impact as another wave of nausea washed over him.  He looked back at the wrinkled old man - he’d only wasted his own life.  Michael’s sin was far worse.
Homeless man had successfully talked the other three off the ledge.  Women problems had been the root of their problems.  Frankly, they’d wanted attention more than demise.  But, there was something about this guy that was different.  He couldn't quite get his head around it.  So he kept probing, “Just you and me buddy, what’s your story?”
“I was the ‘Cool’ high school teacher,” stuttered Michael through heartfelt tears.  “I mean, I was really more a friend than a teacher. You have to these days to earn their respect.”
Homeless Man listening as Michael continued, “A kid named Jacob came to me after class and wanted a little ‘blow’ for an upcoming party.  I gave him my address and told him to come round, I'd sort something out.  I felt a sense of pride for helping one of my kids be cool.  Instead of coke, I gave him 5 ecstasy pops from my personal stash.  No charge!”
Michael wept uncontrollably until Homeless Man interrupted.  “I'm guessing that’s not the reason you’re about to take flight.”
His voice nearly audible, Michael added the final twist: “The news reported the next morning that a 15 year old freshman named Jacob had died from a drug overdose the night before.”  Michael blubbered on, but nothing more needed to be said.  In Homeless Man’s eye’s, he should jump.  He deserved the plunge.  No one could bear that guilt!
As he began to speak, Michael lunged forward into the darkness, his impact muffled by crashing waves below.  One bad decision – two lives ‘cooled.’ 
Lord, grant me the patience and wisdom to set a good example for young people.  Give me strength to both stand firm when I need to, and let go when the time is right.  Let me set the proper boundaries to help them be the person You desire.  Amen