Thursday, July 31, 2014

Ayaan's Friend

“Don’t be troubled. I’ll take you with me, so that you can be where I am." ~ John 14: 1,3
At age seven, Ayaan radiated childhood innocence, still believing in Santa, cartoon characters, and imaginary friends.  Each day on the way to school, he dodged the perils of Garfield Park, one of Chicago’s most dangerous neighborhoods, by stopping at church to say his daily prayers.
One morning out of curiosity, Father Gupta hid near the altar to hear what Ayaan had to say.
"Hi Jesus,” the boy began.  “Dad lost his job again so there isn’t much food at home.  I ate some bread and drank my water.  Thank you for this!  I saw a hungry kitten and I know how he feels so I gave him some of my bread.  Funny, but I’m not hungry anymore.
Please don't be mad at Dad, he’s just scared and worries about putting food on our table.  That’s why he hits me.  It hurts but the pain will go away soon.  At least I still have a Dad. 
My shoes are almost worn through.  Some kids do bad things for fancy ‘Kicks’, but I know You don’t like that.  They should last until school’s out - then I can go barefoot this summer.
Oh yeh, I think I’m in love.  There’s a pretty girl in my class – do you think you can put in a good word for me?  If not that’s OK.  I know You will always love me; You’re my best friend.  Oooops, I gotta go . . ."
Later that day, a small group of thugs robbed and beat the small child to death.  At the funeral home, Pastor Gupta listened as grieving parents described their child – so loving, curious, carefree.
“Do you know the man who just left,” asked Ayaan’s Dad.  “We don’t know him but he seemed to know Ayaan well, claiming they talked frequently at your church.”
The Priest looked confused, “What’d he look like?”
“He was tall, dressed in a white shirt and slacks,” the father began.  “There was something soothing yet mysterious about him.  He smiled warmly and kissed my boy’s lifeless forehead.  Then he whispered “Don’t be afraid child, I’ll see you soon.”
“I can’t explain it, but when that man left, a gentle calm washed over me.  I felt a deep sense of joy in my heart, I know my boy is in heaven now.  It felt so wonderful . . . I cried,” the father continued. 
“Tell me Father, who was this man that my son talked to everyday in your church?"
Father Gupta felt the tears welling in his eyes, with trembling knees, he murmured, "He was talking to his best friend - Jesus.  He couldn’t be in better hands now.”
Heavenly Father, You understand grief as you know all.  We lift up all grieving parents.  Fill them with Your peace.  Give them the knowledge and faith to endure even that which they can't understand.  Your Love is Life that can never taken from us.  Amen