Monday, August 10, 2015

I Don't Text or Tweet


(A letter from God)

“Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10  

My beloved children:
Technology has flourished.  It’s crushed the traditional communication barriers between cultures, countries, and religions.  Gone are the days of hieroglyphics, telegrams, and phone booths.  Yet, in the midst of all the digital gadgets at your finger-tips, you still seem so lonely.
In My day, people would come from miles away to visit family or friends.  It became a celebration filled with hope and joy - cherished memories captured in journals and later in photographs.
Now, you send pictures over the web and skype with loved ones from far-way places.  You hold virtual meetings and sign documents digitally – all in the name of technology.  There’s literally no F2F time.  You’re growing more out of touch with each other every day.  
At the core of internet-based relationships is a sense of anonymity.  Technology allows you to create (and perfect) a fake self.  You know people on a superficial level; following the insanity of their vanity through a series of online reports. 
But smart phones can’t convey a person’s spirit.  The most it can do is show a snapshot or record a word.  Real friendships are built when people are side-by-side, speaking and interacting together.  It’s the same with Me.
I don’t send ‘Friend Requests.’  My love is yours for the asking.  I know everything about you.  I adore you and want you to know Me intimately.  I want others to experience the deep love that we share by example.
You seek instant gratification, and get irritated if someone doesn’t respond immediately to your texts or tweets.  You sleep with your phone on our pillow or right next to the bed, just in case someone needs an immediate reply.
Your relationships are influenced by technology, but its standards don’t apply to Me.  You want to say a ten second prayer . . . and expect an answer back in five.   I don’t send email, instant or text messages.
I hold time in My hands.  I want you to trust me — not be entertained by Me.  Sometimes an immediate response is not best for you.   I want time – the real kind of time that makes you come face-to-face with Me.  And if you don’t hear My response, it may be because you either got out of the habit of listening or because you chose to ignore Me.
Take a break from your computers and Smart phones.  Go back to some basics.  Listen to each other – even the boring parts.  Because it's when you stumble or lose your words that you reveal your true selves to each other.  Humanity created technology to make things easier – but true relationships require time  . . . and energy.”
“Do you know that if I were with you in physical form I’d take you in my arms and tell you how precious and beautiful you are to Me?  I’d tell you how deeply I love you.  Be still and talk to Me!  Love always, God.”