Monday, August 3, 2015

Perfect Timing

“I have plans for you, plans to bring you and the future you hope for." ~ Jeremiah 29:11
It was a grey day; grey drizzle fell from the city’s grey sky.  Grey people hurried down the sidewalk under grey umbrellas.
Corinne decided to shake the “cobwebs” loose with a quick run.  Keeping it light, she tied her house key to her show laces; nothing more.  Soon she fell into rhythmic pace; all she heard was her feet pounding the payment and the cadence of her breathing.  Her mind cleared; she forgot everything else.
So engrossed in the dance between her feet and breath, Corinne failed to notice two things: 1) a grey shap huddled against a tall grey building and 2) shoe laces that had ‘untied’ themselves. 
Boink!  She face planted the pavement . . . losing her key.
Retracing her steps, Corinne searched the sidewalk and the grass.  “Perfect timing” Corinne thought sarcastically.  “Can’t find my key, no cell phone, and daylight’s disappearing.”  Worry began to set in.
As she continued her search, ‘grey-shape’ painstakingly got to his feet.  Dressed in multiple layers of rotted clothing, she could smell him coming long before he arrived.  “Are you alright?” he asked in a way that suggested it was okay to talk to him.
Corinne explained that she was looking for her house key.  He pulled a flashlight from his bag of odds and ends and handed it to her. “Here,” he offered kindly.  “A bright light helps in the dark.”  They searched for nearly an hour before she found it between the grass and sidewalk.
“Thank you!” she said relieved and anxious to finish her run . . . homeward.  “But I have no reward to offer you I’m afraid.”  She would have given him $50 if she’d had the cash on her.
Smiling he placed his hand on his heart and said sweetly, “Young lady, many kind strangers have helped me before.  I’m pleased to return the favor.”  Tipping his scruffy chin, he lumbered off into the darkness.
She’d never forget that man – the guy with no family and no place to sleep who helped her get home that night.  His patience and kindness touched her heart.   He’d serve as a lifelong reminder to be grateful; to never take the slightest thing for granted.  She couldn’t have planned this man’s arrival.  It was perfect timing!
Losing her key would also remind her that we are not alone in this world.  Jesus gives us a community, a family, and we belong to it and share in it.  The more we are part of His family, which is the Church, the stronger we are and the more we can live to change the world.  
Lord, I rest on Your promise to deliver me and from evil.  I believe You will guide my life in accordance to Your will, so that I may walk the blessed walk, for myself and to live for You, so I can be an example to all of those around me.  Amen