Monday, November 23, 2015

Forever Grateful

“Be thankful in all circumstances." ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18  
From my knees down I’m completely artificial: titanium, carbon, silicon and some nuts and bolts.  I lost my lower legs when I was 17 in a climbing accident on Mt. Washington.  My friend and I got caught in an unexpected blizzard, became disoriented, and found ourselves in a deep ravine.  We were rescued 4 days later suffering from severe frostbite and hypothermia. 
But that wasn’t even the worst part!
While being airlifted off the mountain, I learned that a volunteer climber had died in an avalanche trying to rescue us.  I felt devastated; my mind became an icy wasteland of self-loathing desolation.
For months, a medical team tried unsuccessfully to save my limbs.  Eventually, both legs were amputated.  It was shocking how close to the ground my body had become.
But here’s the thing.  Many of the richest and greatest blessings come through experiences and situations which to us seem adverse, and from which we shrink.
Months of rehab motivated me to do something to honor the memory of the rescuer who died trying to save me.  I went to college and received advanced degrees in biophysics and mechanical engineering. 
Not only do I wear prosthetics today, I design them too.  In fact, I have many pairs of legs in my closet – a pair for running, mountain climbing, scuba diving . . . you get the picture. 
God always has a plan.  It’s profound, the way He opens our minds to new possibilities when we engage a thankful heart (He can do very little for petulant one). 
For example, my biologic body will degrade with age but the artificial parts will improve (with constant upgrades).  When I’m 90, I’ll be more stable and probably able to run faster than you!
So here’s my message: “Let the spirit of Thanksgiving become the habit of your life.”  Thanking God for these will raise your spirits above any problems:

 Mother Earth: Consider the amazing variety of plants, creatures, and scenery God’s provided for us to enjoy.
Life’s Provisions: Even though we say grace, we often take the food we eat for granted.  You’ll enjoy it much more if truly thankful!
Our Possessions: Everything comes from God.  Don’t forget to thank God for our families, our home, warm clothes and all the things that make life easier.
 Fellowship:  When we grieve or feel depressed, our brothers and sisters comfort us and pray for us.  Their friendship helps bring us through troubled times.
Anybody can be thankful on one day each year.  Even the most pessimistic person can reveal grateful feelings on Thanksgiving Day.  The ideal life is one that’s incessantly grateful.   Giving thanks makes people happier and more resilient; it fortifies relationships, improves health, and reduces stress.
Thank you God for giving me health, for the food You provide, for the awareness You awaken in me.  Thank you for the energy that feeds my soul, the sun that warms my body and the air that fills my lungs.  Amen