Friday, July 17, 2020

Just a Regular Guy

“The generous will themselves be blessed." ~ Proverbs 22:9
Prior to the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, New Orleans’ Lower 9th Ward boasted over 15,000 people.  There were stores, homes and traffic.  Katrina changed all that!
Years after the storm, much of New Orleans returned to normal - more than 50% of the city's wards regained their pre-storm populations.
That wasn’t the case for the Lower Ninth where entire blocks remained dotted with overgrown lots and abandoned businesses.  Desperation plagued the mostly African-American district.
The closest grocery store (Walmart) took 3 city bus transfers.
So, Ninth Ward resident Burnell Cotlon decided to change that.  Using money saved while working at fast food restaurants and dollar stores, he bought a formerly-flooded building at Caffin and North Galvez Streets.  And in 2014 he opened the Lower Ninth Ward’s first grocery store since the storm.
Grateful customers returned quickly - single moms, families, kids.  “I love my customers; they’re like family,” Cotlon began.
“Then COVID struck another blow to our community.  At least, with a hurricane, we had a chance to evacuate.”
The resulting quarantines hurt Ninth Ward resident particularly hard - a large percentage work in the hotel and seafood industries.  When everything shut down, little money circulated.
But rather than retreat, the former U.S. Army vet ramped up his service to the neighborhood.
As the owner of the only grocery store within a 5-mile radius, Burnell expanded his service to customers hit by massive layoffs.  Not only can you buy fresh produce and other items at Burnell’s bustling Market today, but you can also do your laundry, search the internet, grab some takeout food, get a haircut and even get legal papers notarized.
And for those who can’t pay in full, (and that’s more than a few) – he allows them to buy food on credit and ‘donating’ food to those most in need.
His personal ledger looks bleak.  “It hurts, because it caused me to get a little bit behind on my own bills,” he admitted.  “But I found my purpose.  My purpose is service.  I live here; these are my neighbors who’re hurting.  So, I just do what I can.  I couldn’t turn my back, because there's nowhere else for them to go.”
“If we can get through Katrina, we can get through anything.  We're going to be OK.  I’m just a ‘regular’ guy.  My goal in life is to support the Lower 9th Ward until it stands on par with the rest of New Orleans.”
A regular guy … with deep faith … and supersized dreams.  All of the rich food, music, and vibrant colors of New Orleans seem so much better off knowing its story of resilience, hope and apostles like Burnell Cotlon whose actions preach more loudly than his lips.
Lord, as I face my fears, when I’m feeling helpless, remind me of who YOU are, and who I am in You.  You are strong and courageous, so I can “take courage,” knowing You are with me, You are for me, and You will empower me.  Amen