Friday, December 11, 2020

"And When I Die"

 “You were created in God’s glory and for sharing His love." ~ Isaiah 43:7

The day will come when I will lie utterly still, eyes open but unfocussed, staring into oblivion.  My body will rest upon a soft white sheet neatly tucked under four corners of a thin mattress located in a hospital hosted by those living and dying.  At some point, a doctor will conclude that my brain has stopped functioning.  Essentially my life on earth has ended.

My soul will be recalled to our Heavenly Father; what’s left is simply parts and tissue.  The Bible doesn’t give many details about what happens next.  But it’s safe to say that we’ll enter a reality far beyond our comprehension.

So, don’t worry about me.  Death is only the end of one chapter I hope.

When that time comes, don’t implant artificial life into my body by the use of machines.  Let my body be used to help others lead fuller, deeper, richer lives.


Give my heart to a person whose own ticker lacked compassion and kindness.  Help them aim for a fresh start – at seeing the innocence in children; at listening with all his senses, at using his God-given talents for worthy purposes.

Give my sight to the woman who has never seen a sunrise, a puppy’s yearning, or the brilliance of fireworks on the 4th of July.  Let her see every moment with eagerness; filled with wonder.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from his car’s wreckage, so that he might live to show others the suffering associated with impaired driving.  Donate my kidneys to someone who depends on dialysis for survival.  Take my bones, all muscle, and every nerve in my body.  Find a way to make a child with special needs walk.

Give my skin to the mother suffering the excruciating pain of burns from a house fire.  Help my tissue provide a temporary wound dressing until her own skin can heal.  Give her a broad smile that exudes confidence, enthusiasm, and authenticity.

Explore every corner of my brain.  Cultivate any useful cells so that: someday a boy without speech will cheer at the crack of a bat; a girl with a hearing loss will hear the gentle sound of rain on her window; they can be genetically modified to recognize and kill cancer cells.

Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow.  If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weaknesses and all prejudice against other human beings.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you.  If you do all I have asked, my spirit will watch over you and I will live in your heart forever.

God of health and healing, You taught us that death can never end our story, for we are blessed to be a blessing; Your grace is our delight.  Thank You for those who have made the decision that, in death, life must be shared.  Amen