Thursday, December 3, 2020

Better With Age

 “God has plans to bring about the future you hope for." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

When Carly, a rookie reporter, had been assigned a newspaper piece on aging, her boss suggested she interview Jack, a Depression-era, nonagenarian who’d served in WWII.  She cringed at the thought; rescheduling it several times and hoping it would eventually be forgotten.  No such luck!

As she entered the Nursing Home, she imagined an old man with memories as cloudy as his eyes.  What could she possibly learn from a lifetime of happy mediocrity now tinged with loneliness?

Carl greeted her with a welcoming smile.  His eyes seemed eager to share a story of laughter, of joy and affection.  Carly would soon learn that Jack was so much more!

“I consider myself a sen-ager,” he began without prompting. “I have everything I ever wanted as a teenager, only seven decades later.  I don’t have to go to school or work.  I have my own pad.  And I don’t have acne.  Life’s good!”

When Carly failed to laugh, Jack continued.

“People my age don’t have many role models on aging elegantly because few live this long,” he continued.  “So, I’m still learning how to do this.”

Slight chuckle. 

“Nowadays, everything happens at the speed of youth.  Whether it’s cell phones, songs, or movies, only the newest models and latest releases seem to matter.  If it’s been around for a while, it’s probably lost much of its value.  Same with people.”


His smile was engaging, she thought.

“We tend to associate getting older with a decline in beauty, vitality and appeal.  But aging done well has the potential to be an enjoyable, inspiring upgrade of self.”

“Done right, age brings wisdom, maturity and insight.  With age comes experience, discernment and perspective.  We become more empathetic.  We develop the compassion to fully know and love others, and the confidence to relax into our best attributes.”

“When you suddenly realize that you are, in fact, getting older, it’s still possible to age gracefully from there on out.  All it takes is smart choices, well-directed energy and a desire for self-renewal.”

“And when you shift your focus to what can be learned and created, you’ll gain a sense of hope and excitement.  If you tell me I’m going to live to be 120, I’d be worried that it’s not enough time.  I’m excited about deepening my relationships with my family, deepening my spirituality and writing my family histories.”

As Carly left her interview with Jack, she suddenly realized why her Editor had given her this assignment.   Sometimes, we become so consumed with our current stage in life that we think that’s all there is.  Especially if we are going through a trying time, it’s good to know that life is so much bigger than our current circumstances.  Just ask Jack!

Loving God, let us all pause to ask and then rely upon the wisdom of our elders.  Give them encouragement to apply their age advantage and to stay engaged enough to pass along their knowledge and their legacy of understanding.  Amen