Thursday, February 10, 2022

Looking Back At Me

 “Trust in Him with all your heart and He will guide your path." ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

DAY 1: It was coming … quicker than expected; winds rustled the trees.  By midmorning it blew dust off the road and tossed anything light as "HURRICANE" whispers grew louder.

Amanda took a break from her crude home office and drove to the ocean.  She needed to hear her sweet sound, feel her soft touch, find solace in her happier memories.

She’d been beaten and mistreated for years.  Left without self-esteem, self-confidence, and self-respect, Amanda had been hurt by a man who’d vowed to love, honor, and protect her. 

As white froth sailed from the wave tops and assailed the shoreline, Amanda kept praying, “Lord, help me find ‘me.’  Let me realize my worth again.”  The more she prayed, the more she wailed.

Amanda had forgiven him; but never herself.

She’d gone through this same ritual every day for months, watching the ocean’s beauty, heeding sounds that brought repose, praying for God to bring her some inner peace.  

The waves began crashing more violently; a reminder of her abusive past: anger, hatred, fear.  Every day she told herself that this will be the day that she’ll go home and see a different face in the mirror.  But it never happens.

Home facing the mirror, Amanda once again saw only the shell of a woman.  Absent was the woman who once loved life, wanted career success, and strived to be the best. 

Day 2: So much destruction.  Sand covered the ocean’s walkways; raging winds had savaged some of the houses and the end of the pier.  The beach was damaged but not broken; determined to be the place where people would return to relax and enjoy good times.

Two Months Later:  The seashore was returning to its pre-hurricane splendor.  Sidewalks and walkways were clear again.  The pier and homes were under reconstruction. 

Amanda saw the ocean in a new light - from the eyes of Someone bigger than she was; something that’d caused so much damaged yet hadn’t skipped a beat.  “Why couldn’t she bounce back like the ocean did after a storm?   Why was she continuing to let that man destroy her,” she wondered.

She rose from the sand and drove back home.  Amanda went straight upstairs and stared into her mirror image.  She saw her old self again – the strong woman who didn’t take anyone’s crap; the woman who knew she deserved to be loved.  

One whose prayers had been answered.

By God’s grace, the woman looking back at her was confident and independent.  She would take back her life and live it to the fullest, never taking herself for granted again.  She’d live like the ocean; bouncing back better than before.

Lord God, when the storms in my life are unrelenting, I lift my eyes to You, my keeper, my protector, my salvation.  Watch over me, guide my steps, and show me the path forward.  My hope and my help are in You, Lord.  Amen