Sunday, October 23, 2022

Celebrate Rest

 “Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him." ~ Psalm 62:5

On this brilliant autumn day, I found myself thinking of spring, imagining warm sunshine that comes to melt ice and snow.  I actually believed it for a second, imagining flowers that colored my world in vibrant shades of pink and gold.  The turn toward cooler months left me yearning for lazy summer days and outdoor barbeques that lingered long into the evening.

Those memories came with a chuckle ... this is autumn, a season with her own special ways of bringing happiness.  It’s a time of wool sweaters, warm apple cider, and vibrant foliage that provide an ideal occasion to recognize our many gifts and graces.

Autumn affords many reasons to celebrate.  It marks the end of the growing season; a time to reap the harvest, celebrate its bounty, and stock up for the long winter ahead.  It’s a time to finish projects and let go of what’s unwanted so that winter can be spent relaxing. 

Autumn is the perfect time to be surrounded by nature, or indoors near a window, and practice being still.  It’s a time for slowing down, embracing the quiet peace of God’s presence, and immersing myself in His Word.

When daylight hours shrink, I’m going to take the occasion to appreciate long nights.  They don’t come naturally to me, especially in this day of artificial light and electronic screens that glare brightly day and night. 

Autumn teaches much about rest and rejuvenation.  I will also make some minor changes at home to extol the virtues of this new season.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness, I think. Candles soften the mood in ways that electric lights can’t.  I plan to color pictures, play board games, and make shadow puppets with my family, using those flames as focal points rather than wishing for more daylight.

As the weather becomes chillier, the air in our house can get stale.  What a perfect opening for filling the space with spicy scents of apple peels and cinnamon sticks.

Instead of huddling inside as winter approaches, I want to take more walks outdoors, when possible, to enjoy the quiet hours between night and day.  The earth’s natural cycle allows our bodies more restful slumber when mimicking the rhythm of the sun.

Spiritually, autumn may be a time of transition for you - with something ending and something else beginning - everything from a fresh start to a loss that brings grief and emptiness.  It might also be a time of hidden preparation for something yet to be imagined.  Our spiritual Autumn leads us to live in the Spirit of the Cross - the daily “dying of self” that, as Christians, we are called to.

Father God, quiet time with You is balm for my soul.  Thank You for the beautiful change of season, that encourages and inspires me to look inward and let go of what is necessary to make new life.  Amen