Thursday, December 22, 2022

Merry Christmas Eve

 “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward all.” ~ Luke 2:14

The old man busied himself behind the 7-11’s counter on a lonely Christmas Eve. He’d worked most holidays since his wife Martha passed away. It was just another day to him and just couldn’t find a reason to celebrate.

Pete gazed out at snow that’d been falling for the last hour when an agitated man burst in waving a pistol and demanding all the cash. His trembling hand suggested he’d probably never attempted anything like this before.

“Son, don't do this,” Pete said calmly. “Put the gun down before someone gets hurt.”

The thief looked confused. “Shut up or... or I’ll shoot you. Give me the cash, now!”

“It’s Christmas if you need money, here …” He pulled several twenties out of his pocket and handed them over, simultaneously reaching for the barrel of the gun. “It ain’t much but it’s all I got.”

Releasing his grip on the gun, the man fell to his knees and wept. “I’m terrible at this, aren’t I? All I wanted was to buy something for my wife and son. I lost my job, the rent’s due, and my car got repossessed last week.”

Pete helped the young man to his feet. “We all do dumb things sometimes,” Pete began. “That’s what makes us human.” He motioned toward the chair behind the counter, and said,” Sit there and relax while we sort things out.”

Just then a police car rolled up and two officers got out. They entered the store for fresh cups of hot java.  “Everything OK tonight, Pete,” one asked. “Who’s your new assistant?”

The young man froze. “Just hired him this morning,” Pete answered.

After the officers left, the young man looked up and asked almost inaudibly, “Why?”

Before answering, Pete went into the back room and returned with a box. He pulled out a ring box. “Here’s something for your bride. Martha wouldn’t mind; she knew it’d come in handy someday.”

I can’t take this,” said the young man. “It means something to you.”

“And now it means something to you,” replied Pete. “I got my memories. That’s all I need.”

Pete reached into the box again. An airplane, a car, and a truck appeared next. They were toys that the store owner had left for him to sell. “Here’s something for that little man of yours.”

When to man offered the money Pete had handed him earlier, Pete replied, “Keep it, go home and buy a lovely Christmas dinner for your family.”

The man turned, his tears exposing an honest soul: "l be here in the morning to work if that job offer’s still good.”

“Nope. I’m closed Christmas day,” Pete said. “See ya the day after, Merry Christmas.”

Holy Father, giver of all good things. We know that giving gifts is one way we show our love for each other. Let these gifts we share also remind us of the greatest gift of love you have given to us, your son Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.